August 24, 2007

Weekend Discussion Question

For which plastic item are you having the hardest time finding an alternative?

My biggest challenge at the moment is to find a replacement for our Brita faucet filter. We are on our last plastic cartridge. Recall my unsatisfying e-mail exchange with Brita. Their cartridges are recyclable in Europe but not in the U.S., where presumably there is no legal pressure to recycle them.

What is your biggest challenge?

10 Comments on "Weekend Discussion Question"

Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted

I have a question about freezing food. I would love to freeze blueberries for example, now when they are so plentiful and inexpensive but how do you do it without a plastic bag?? Also, for another example, I made a big pot of rice and beans and how do I freeze that without plastic?
I love Fake Plastic’s helped me alot. Thank you.

Wonderful discussion and thanks for the idea re cat litter. I don’t get a newspaper but my co-worker brings hers to work. I like that idea better than the plastic bags!

Least Footprint

We just replaced our plastic cutting boards with wood. However we looked at the old disgusting ones and wondered, “Now what do we do with these?” Not sure if they can be recycled or not. I can’t bring myself to throw these huge slabs of plastic in the landfill. What to do?

We use a Multi-Pure stainless steel water filter with a cartridge that we change once a year. It hooks right to the sink. The cartridge has two end caps made from plastic but the rest is just carbon. The up front cost on these… Read more »

Heather-check with your pharmacy they should have Claritin (or a generic) in a larger quantity that would come in a bottle and at least save the extra waste of the blister pack.

heather t

Not that I’ve done so great with eliminating plastic, but baby steps, ya know. Anyway, as I was taking my absolutely-necessary Claritin this morning, I was looking at the blister pack and realized there is probably no alternative for that one. Gotta have it.

Beth – about your Brita; it is still a better alternative than bottled water if that helps any.

Re kitty litter disposal, I recently started wrapping used litter in newspaper. I spread out two full pages, put a half page down the middle, and deposit the used litter on the half page. Then I fold it up, making a lovely package. It doesn’t seem as smelly as used litter in plastic, and the packages are easier on the eye than a plastic bag filled with, oh, you know how it looks.

My biggest challenge has been to try and find glass bottles of organic milk here in Georgia. My research shows there are no organic dairies near here and so I can’t buy direct from the producer so all my milk comes in cartons or plastic…Sigh…

One of the things I struggle with is keeping my cats indoors and dealing with their waste. I hate that it goes to a landfill and we don’t want to just put it in the kitchen bag because in the summer it makes our kitchen smell so we end up putting it in smaller plastic bags and then in the garbage bin. I could let me cats go outdoors but the last cat we did that with got ran over and there are a number of other issues like shorter life span and likely increased vet visits (ie… Read more »

My biggest challenge is to avoid plastic and over packaged toys for my son.
Between what he expects and demands from being targeted by advertisers, to gifts from well meaning friends and family, to the party bag filler, we are drowning in plastic. Even when I draw the line and try to teach him to appreciate what he has instead of always wanting the new thing, he might come home from school or from Grandma’s the next day with a bag full of plastic.
I freecycle as much as I can when he has outgrown or forgotten about it, but am saddened… Read more »

Stretch Mark Mama

It would probably be easier to list the plastic alternatives I COULD find. I think what we all need is a time machine back a hundred years or so, before the Plastic Revolution began. “Marty!”