September 9, 2007

The Wine List

This will be an ongoing list of wines and the types of stoppers or caps used on the bottles. I’ll list them as I drink them.

Last updated: 04/20/2009

Whites:

• Boissonneau Chateau Moulin de Ferrand Bordeaux Blanc (2006): Plastic stopper.
  • Calina Reserva Chardonnay (2006): Plastic stopper.
  • Chateau St. Jean Sonoma County Chardonnay (2006): natural cork stopper.
  • Clif Bar white wines: According to Clif Bar, all the whites have screw caps.
  • Da Vinci Pinot Grigio (2007): Plastic stopper.
  • Five Rivers Monterey County Chardonnay (2005): Plastic stopper.
  • Husch Mendocino Sauvignon Blanc (2006): Natural cork stopper.
  • Jepson Estate Bottled Mendocino Sauvignon Blanc (2005): Natural cork stopper. Plastic capsule.
  • Orleans Hill Viognier (2006): Natural cork stopper. Certified organic wine.
  • Pacific Oasis Sauvignon Blanc (2006): Natural cork stopper.
  • Trader Joe’s Coastal Fumé Blanc (2006): Natural cork stopper.

Reds:

Sparkling:

• Dibon Cava Brut Reserve: Natural cork stopper.
  • Domaine Chandon Blanc de Noirs: Natural cork stopper.
  • Actually, I think most sparkling wines come with a cork stopper. So far I haven’t found one with plastic.

9 Comments on "The Wine List"

Guest

I’m curious where boxed wines and other packaging options fit into the discussion, given the ratio of product to packaging might be more favorable. Seems like someone could make those bladders reusable or recyclable, at least for mass market wine products.
.-= Craig @ CheapSubscriptions´s last blog ..Wine Enthusiast at $8.99! =-.

Guest
beyesn

Merely pointing out that things are not black & white on environmental issues focused on materials. When doing a comparison of the entire picture (i.e. litter, green house gas emissions, energy, water usage, efficiency and more) the truth is in the grey area in between. Its all about trade-offs.

Guest
Fake Plastic Fish

@beyesn

What else would you expect from the Plastics Trade Association?

But they are only looking at one part of the environmental picture. Lighter weight = less fuel to ship. But they are not taking into consideration all the other problems of plastic, which I have laid out in this post:

Guest
beyesn

Thinking “big picture” some wine makers are making a compelling case for why they have chosen PET plastic bottles over glass as a more sustainable material. Food (or drink) for thought. Here’s a link: http://plasticsindustry.blogspot.com/2008/10/plastic-wine-bottles-chosen-for_21.html

Guest
Anonymous

Love what you are doing with the whole blog. As a wine lover who thought himself enlightened by opting for screw top wine I was fascinated to find that aside from issues with preserving wine, real cork stoppers are the most ecologically friendly option. For wine lovers in the UK who want to avoid artificial cork or screw top wines, Majestic Wine’s website – http://www.majestic.co.uk – specifies the closure for each bottle of wine and allows you to search for real cork stopped wines only. The only disadvantage is that you have to order a minimum of 12 bottles at a time but I find it a useful point of reference which even non UK users might be able to use.

Donald – Scotland

Guest
Molly

Any recycling or craft ideas for the plastic corks? I’m afraid to use them to make trivets, because my hot glue gun melted one!

Guest
Hillary

Hi, Beth — I also just read about a program to recycle wine corks:

“Yemm & Hart, a company that finds innovative uses for recycled products, is soliciting wine bottle corks for a unique initiative. When the company has amassed six tons, they’ll begin converting the corks into coasters, clipboards, and flooring. Contributors will be eligible for discounts on the finished products.

do your part: Mail wine and champagne corks to Wine Cork Recycling, Yemm & Hart Ltd., 610 S. Chamber Drive, Fredericktown, MO 63645.”

Guest
Green Bean

Beth, just FYI, I recently posted about a program for recycling real cork wine stoppers. Also, a reader recently told me that you can save your wine bottles and freecycle them to home brewers. Neither of those are plastic but another great way to reduce the waste stream.

Here’s a link to the post about wine corks.

Guest
LifeLessPlastic

This wine list is great. I’m going to be working on a similar such list as time progresses. I’ll keep you posted about what I put together, and then maybe we can combine lists and create one super, duper list.