October 24, 2007

Learning to share (and borrow)

This weekend, I had a conversation with my dad about what to do with certain possessions if he rented out their condo in Hawaii. “I’d have to store a lot of books,” he said. And it got me realizing that one of the best ways to reduce our consumption, plastic and otherwise, is through borrowing and sharing items that we don’t need access to on a regular basis.

I understand his attachment to books. They are part of his identity. And for English major me, some books do have sentimental value. But the majority of the books that I read do not. For a while, I was buying used books and then Freecycling them. But then Michael got his library science degree, and suddenly the idea of borrowing rather than owning became an option I hadn’t considered since elementary school. So now, when I want to read something, I try to borrow it from the library or from a friend before thinking about whether I want to purchase it.

But libraries are not just for books these days, or even just videos and CDs. Many cities have tool lending libraries, either as part of the public library system like here in Oakland, or as part of the Public Works Department. Wikipedia has a list of tool lending libraries in the world. I’m not sure how comprehensive it is. Maybe your town has one that’s not listed. The beauty of Wikipedia is that anyone can update it.

I’ve seen posts online that claim that the average power drill gets used anywhere between 3 to 20 minutes during its entire lifetime. Why does every family need to have their own power drill (or table saw or belt sander) when many people could share the same piece of equipment easily and with much less cost to the environment?

If you don’t have a tool lending library, think about borrowing tools or appliances from friends. A few weeks ago, I ran out of ground cinnamon but found some cinnamon sticks in the back of the cupboard that had never been used. If only I had a spice grinder or even a coffee grinder. I placed an ad on Freecycle and looked for a used one at Goodwill. Then, it occurred to me that even if I found one, I’d probably only use it a couple of times. So I asked my friend, Nancy, and sure enough, she had one to lend. I got my ground cinnamon and one less plastic item to clutter my kitchen.

I think borrowing from friends sometimes is good for us. It can be humbling for those who like to feel that they are self-sufficient. And a little humility is not a bad thing in a world full of entitled individuals consuming far more than they need. Of course, being willing to share is also important, as is taking care of what you borrow and getting it back to its owner in a timely fashion!

But back to libraries. Another hunk of plastic you can avoid buying is a personal computer. Now, Michael and I do have our own computers which we use every day. But Michael’s mom uses the computer at the local library, and another friend of mine only uses the computer at her job. For those people who aren’t as cyber-addicted as me, borrowing computer time might be a great resource-, as well as money-, saving option.

And finally, the biggest hunk of plastic that Michael and I share rather than own is a car. For those of us who live in urban areas with excellent public transportation, owning a car can be an expensive pain in the butt. And renting cars is a hassle, what with waiting in line and filling out paperwork each time. Instead, we belong to Flexcar, one of the three car-sharing companies in the Bay Area (along with Zipcar and City Car Share.) We borrow the car once or twice per month for shopping or driving somewhere inaccessible by BART or bus. It’s way less expensive than owning a car and we save a ton of plastic in the process. Check out this cNet article about the increasing use of plastics in cars.

What other things do you borrow or lend that I haven’t thought of? Reducing the amount of stuff I collect is a big part of this project and any suggestions for ways to borrow rather than own are welcome!

16 Comments on "Learning to share (and borrow)"

Guest
Melissa
7 years 1 month ago

I hadn’t heard of the tool lending libraries, so will definitely check that out. Another site I found while doing research on ways to avoid buying new stuff, I found a very cool website: http://www.nuvorent.com – I just posted a few things the other day so can’t really speak much for how well it actually works yet, but I think the idea is totally awesome, for lack of a better word. I think they may be just in the Bay Area for the moment, but it’s such a good idea, I’m betting it’ll take off. I’d be interested to hear your thoughts if you have a chance to check it out.

Guest
Anonymous

I love, love the library! I get most of my books from the library and have even stopped buying magazines b/c I can get them from the library. I think this is a little known secret b/c I nearly always get the latest copies! And they don’t accumulate in my tiny, tiny apartment.

Guest
Barbara

Our family has spent a lot of money on board games that haven’t been played a lot. A public library would be a good way for families to share games. I’m going to ask my local librarian about that.

Guest
Bradipo

Thanks for the comment on my Wise Bread post, and thanks for the link to this article–good examples of “institutionalized” sharing.

Philip Brewer

Guest
axelle

I can’t say enough good things about the Berkeley Tool Lending Library. Oakland has one as well. I’ve donated good tools I seldom used to BTLL and if I need them, I know where to find them. BTLL keeps their tools in excellent condition. The people working there are a fount of information and not only that, they’re very friendly.

Guest
CindyW

This is a different kind of sharing. Had a friend over for dinner today. During our conversation, she asked whether the stuff she recycled actually got recycled. Do you think they just landfill it anyway? Are they just trying to make us feel good? So I shared your visit to the Oakland recycling center. Yes, it does really matter. The cans you put in the recycling bin do really get a second life. And paper, and plastic, and bottles. She was very relieved after that. So thanks for sharing your experience at the recycling center on this blog! She needs to read it :)

Guest
Mazzajo

Rosa, how very Prairie Home! Neighbors who come do your yard work for you when you’ve left it a little too long! That’s so cool! You are very lucky.

Guest
Rosa

Rejin, we are lucky. And we live in a not-very-dense midwestern city, so there’s still some of that small-town helpfulness – if we left a downed tree in our yard, our neighbor would come cut it up after a few days.

It takes a certain amount of resigning yourself to not being in control. I might come home on a day when guests are coming and have to go down the block to get my vacuum back or – this bothered me worse at first – our neighbors might get tired of our tall grass and come mow it one Saturday morning. But overall it’s such a good life, it’s worth it.

Guest
Anonymous

Kudos to your Dad for deciding to rent his condo. It’s hard to think of a bigger waste of resources than a condo that sits empty for most of the year. If someone else could rent that condo, less condos would need to be built. What a great form of sharing!

Guest
Rejin L

This year I discovered the inter (inner?) library loan system. Even though the local branch is small and under stocked, I have been able to request books from all over the (Brooklyn Public Library) system and they bring them to my branch, then call to let me know to pick up. It is so convenient – much more so than finding new homes for all the once-read books that don’t fit on our shelves. And I’ve saved so much money.
Rosa, you are so fortunate to have such a good borrowing network. My friends live so far away, it never occurs to us. And we don’t really know the neighbors. When we couldn’t find anyone to borrow a chain saw from, we just left the fallen tree in the yard rather than dispose of it. These days I often find myself doing without, rather than buying something I don’t expect to use very much.