My kitties have been conspiring to increase my weekly plastic waste. I know that’s what they’re talking about when they’re curled up together pretending to sleep. Soots decided to get diarrhea and start pooping outside his litter box so that in desperation, I’d go out and buy new litter, medicine, and food, all in plastic bags. Such a bad kitty!
I’m about at my wits end. Just ask Michael. The vet gave me special hypoallergenic food for him (which, naturally, comes in a plastic bag) as well as de-worming medicine (5 mini plastic bags). We’re also trying a different kind of litter (World’s Best Cat Litter) which comes in a plastic bag. The new food is not helping and neither is the medicine so far. But I gotta say, World’s Best Cat Litter works sooooo much better than SwheatsScoop, I’m almost ready to say, “Screw it. Give me the one that works even if it comes in a plastic bag.” It clumps much better. It stays cleaner. You need less of it. And it smells better. *Sigh*
So, here’s this week’s tally. Items used this week but purchased before the plastic project began:
- 1 hydrogen peroxide bottle & cap (#2 plastic). Used this up trying to get mold out of a cotton produce bag. More on that issue later.
- 1 Safeway ground cumin bottle & cap (#1 plastic). Now that this is gone, will be buying only bulk cumin from Whole Foods or Rainbow or Berkeley Bowl and filling my own glass jar.
New plastic waste:
- 1 Refresh Endura single-use eye drop container
- 1 piece of plastic tape from a bunch of organic bananas.
- 1 plastic seal from the neck of a ceramic container of St. Benoit yogurt. Our last bit of homemade yogurt went bad before we could make more. Have to start over again.
- 1 plastic bag of World’s Best Cat Litter I’m afraid this won’t be the last. This stuff just works so much better than the SwheatScoop. Anyone else have suggestions for cat litter that is clumpable and flushable and doesn’t come in a plastic bag? (And for those who may be new to this blog, yes we flush the cats’ litter because they’ve tested negative for toxoplasma gondii, the parasite that kills sea otters. You shouldn’t flush cat litter if your cats have not been tested or if they go outside.)
- 5 mini plastic bags of de-worming medication.
Now, just look at this:
They look like they’re sleeping, right? That’s what they want you to think. They’re actually speaking in silent code, trying to plan their next plasticky move. What can I do?
Seriously, (and this next bit is going to be gross, so if you don’t want to read about cat poop, turn away now) Soots has had diarrhea for over a month. I took him to the vet weeks ago and they dewormed him, put him on special food, and gave me some kitty pepto bismal for him. It cleared up for maybe a week and then came back with a vengeance. Then, in the last couple of weeks, he decided not to use the litter box to poop. (He still uses it to pee.) He’ll go on the floor a foot or two away from the box, but he’ll only go in the box itself if I catch him scratching the floor and put him in the box right before he starts to go. Then, I praise him and pet him and give him a tiny treat. But his little pea brain doesn’t remember it the next time.
We got a second litter box and filled it with the new kind of litter. Arya will use either one. She doesn’t seem to care what kind of litter she uses. And Soots will pee in either one but still wants to poop on the floor. And it’s not like he’s trying to get to the litter box and having accidents before he makes it there. No, he wanders around on the floor scratching here and there, basically dilly dallying while I’m tapping my foot waiting, before he finally chooses the perfect spot on the floor to go.
The new food from the vet is not helping the diarrhea, and nothing we’ve done is stopping the floor pooping. FPF reader and friend Axelle thinks that if we get the diarrhea cleared up, the cat will use the box again. She has a recipe for us to try using rice, chicken, and pumpkin. We haven’t done it yet, thinking that the vet knew what she was talking about, but maybe we will this week if the new food doesn’t start to help.
Anyone else? I’m so tired of being on cat poop duty!