July 20, 2008

Year 2, Week 5 Results: 1.4 oz of plastic waste.

This post will be short because I want to get in a review of the Blogher Conference before retiring to the woods for my vision fast. So, here’s the tally:

Plastic items used this week but purchased before the plastic project began:

• 1 Ziploc bag. I’ve been using this bag for over a year, and finally it has a big hole in it and needs to retire. I’ve been using it to store bread, so far not having found a plastic-free way to keep bread fresh. I buy local bread that comes in a paper bag (like Acme Bread or Grace Baking Co) and then put the paper-wrapped bread into the Ziploc bag. Note to self: Ziploc bags and kitchen knives do not get along well together in the sink.

And the new plastic waste:

• 1 outer wrapper from a case of Instinct canned cat food.
  • Tag hanger from a new broom. The rest of the broom is entirely plastic free. Check out the way I carried it home. Remind you of anyone?

• 1 Refresh Endura single use eye drop container.
  • Blogher Conference name tag. Another piece of plastic that could have been avoided. I had planned to attend today’s Sunday session of the conference, at which I would have returned the name badge holder to be used again. Instead, I was too tired and stayed home today, so I have no way to return it. Ah well.

More on the conference in the next post.

7 Comments on "Year 2, Week 5 Results: 1.4 oz of plastic waste."

Guest
Gel Nails

Nice Information! Thanks for sharing us………….

Guest
Kellie
7 years 12 days ago

Oh gawd, I just snorted out loud (I think “SOL” is already being used) at the picture of the broom bike. I’d be tempted to leave it on there permanently!

Guest
Amy K.
7 years 13 days ago

The bike/broom combo actually made me think “Harry Potter”

Guest
lj
7 years 14 days ago

My family has a bread drawer in our kitchen, and it keeps bread fresh for so much longer. Even a bread box might work. They make ceramic and metal ones. Not sure how much plastic packaging they’d come in, though.

Guest
Clare-Dragonfly
7 years 14 days ago

Oh my Goddess, I think I need to attach a broom to my bike now… I wonder if there’s a way to do that without defeating the main purpose for which I bought this bike, which was to be able to ride it in a long skirt…

Guest
SusanB
7 years 14 days ago

A couple of thoughts on storing bread: I have a 50’s (or earlier) era cake tray with domed lid that has a ceramic disc inside — works great for storing some breads (they show up in antique shops/etc. occasionally — aluminum with a wooden acorn knob). A little more flexible (including plastic so maybe not for you but reuseable and more durable than the ziplock), my secretary gave me a drawstring cloth bag lined with a plastic bag type liner that keeps french type breads perfectly and can be washed in the laundry and hung up to dry.

Guest
Robj98168
7 years 15 days ago

LOL Yes. Now I am gonna have to start calling you Elmira GulchLOL I wish I could of seen youtaking that broom home.ROFLMFAO