When this post goes live, I’ll already be in the air on my way to the BlogHer conference of women bloggers in Chicago. I’m so excited. Why?
1) I volunteered as a member of BlogHer’s Green Team this year to help make the conference as eco-friendly as possible. Last year, as some of you may recall, the conference planners took some steps to mitigate the environmental impact. Still, as I mentioned in my follow-up post “Schwag & Twitter at BlogHer ’08“, there were ways they could have done better.
This year, BlogHer not only listened, they reached out to us green bloggers, created a Green Team, and went much further than they had before. Check out the list of green initiatives BlogHer has taken. We’re especially proud of a discussion we had with conference sponsor, Pepsi, and the results of that conversation. More on that in a later post.
2) They’re having Friday night karaoke. Oh yes. They knew I was coming and planned well.
3) I get to meet up with a whole slew of other green bloggers:
- Amy “Crunchy Domestic Goddess” Gates
- Diane “Big Green Purse” MacEachern
- Jennifer “The Smart Mama” Taggart
- Karen “Best of Mother Earth” Hanrahan
- Linda “Citizen Green” Anderson
- Lisa “Condo Blues” Nelson-Woods
- Lynn “Organic Mania” Miller
- MC “Not Quite Crunchy Parent” Milker
- Micaela “Mindful Momma” Preston
- Siel “Green LA Girl” Ju
- Sommer “Green & Clean Mom” Poquette
4) And probably the most exciting thing about the whole trip:
For those of you who don’t watch TV much, don’t worry about it. No biggie. But for those who know what I’m talking about… Holy Crap! It’s Tim Gunn! From Project Runway. Probably my favorite guilty pleasure TV show (I really don’t have many). I get to spend an hour with him on Saturday afternoon getting some personal style, of which I have very little unless I’m dressing up like a fake plastic sea monster and scaring small children. I already wrapped up some GlassDharma drinking straws for him as a gift. They’re elegant. He’s elegant. And I just have this urge to give him something nice.
So yeah, I’m excited to be going to BlogHer.
And now, the winner of the Set of 3 Joey Totes Resusable Bags is… Reece!
Reece, please email me your mailing address so I can send them to you. I’ll also send an email to you directly. And I’ll get your totes out to you when I return next week.
And for those who didn’t win, Joey Totes is offering a discount code for Fake Plastic Fish readers through the end of this month:
“Readers can use the coupon code FakePlasticFish and receive 10% off their order until 7/31. Small orders (1-3 sets) are shipped in a 30% pcw paper envelope. Larger orders go in USPS flat rate boxes. We don’t use any plastic or bubble wrap. The bags are tough enough on their own.”
Carry on, as Tim Gunn says. I hope to blog from Chicago. And I’ve got several more give-aways planned when I get back.