October 14, 2009

Just Say “No” to 7-Eleven’s Plastic-Wrapped Bananas.

7-11 plastic-wrapped banana

Plastic-wrapped bananas are redundant and stupid, aren’t they? I mean, really. Bananas already have a natural wrapper. But 7-Eleven wants to make sure they stay fresher even longer. So 27 stores in Dallas, Texas are testing out the new plastic-wrapped bananas. If successful, the chain plans to sell them in all of its stores.

According to this article in USA Today (forwarded to me by Fake Plastic Fish reader James Langford), “7-Eleven recognizes that the wrapper could be an environmental issue and has asked supplier Fresh Del Monte to come up with a wrapper that’s biodegradable.” Um… it already has a biodegradable wrapper. It’s thick and yellow and decomposes in about a week, as evidenced by the contents of my compost bin.

Since 7-Eleven does appear to be somewhat concerned about its environmental footprint, let’s help them realize the error of this packaging choice. Please make a quick phone call or send a letter to the company letting them know we don’t need no stinkin’ plastic on our bananas.

Customer Relations:
7-Eleven, Inc.
Customer Relations
Loc. 231
P.O. Box 711
Dallas, TX 75221
Phone: 800-255-0711

Or use the link on 7-Eleven’s Contact Page to contact a store directly.

This one should be a no-brainer.

25 Comments on "Just Say “No” to 7-Eleven’s Plastic-Wrapped Bananas."

Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted

I hate the excess waste, but I bet it does cut down on fruit flies.

Promotional Umbrellas

Another example of greenwash. A bit like when it was found it’s far more costly to grow biofuel in south america and transport it to the US and Europe. Biodegradeable plastics for bananas are just silly.

I doubt it will last long. Environmentalists are all over this and what are they going to argue against? The disadvantages far outweigh the benefits. 7-11 ought to be ashamed of themselves.

6 years 20 days ago
6 years 1 month ago

Hi all. I got a slightly different response:

from: McDonald, Kristin (
to: Beth Terry
date: Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 7:57 AM
subject: 7-Eleven Customer Concern

Ms. Terry,
I received your concern regarding the possibility of future plans to individually wrap bananas in plastic. I recently read this article as well [the article in USA Today], and believe I understand your concern, however I don’t want to make assumptions. Please provide me details as to why you would be against this change, and I would be happy to roll up your concerns to the appropriate person. Please know that this is… Read more »

Seems that Del Monte gave me the same response:

Thank you for your response. Del Monte is currently working on a
sustainable packaging solution. As was reported, we are testing the
product to learn consumer response. We know that our customers want
yellow bananas, and for them to stay yellow longer. Interestingly,
there is a positive environmental impact from carrying wrapped bananas.
Because their shelf life is now doubled, the number of truck deliveries
are reduced, which provides a corresponding reduction in the carbon
footprint. With a longer “shelf life”, there is less waste; and food
waste does come with an environmental cost. … Read more »

6 years 1 month ago

I first read this post yesterday as link off of and was appalled like many others, what a stupid idea, bananas have their own beautiful packaging. BUT – after a quick grocery trip to my favorite Trader Joe’s in Folsom , CA (yes, I will name them to embarrass them into making change, they know better) – I found those little fruit and veggies bags placed right next to the banana display…and there was a woman grabbing a bag and putting bananas in it. After a few minutes of glaring, apparently I didn’t get my point across and instead… Read more »

6 years 1 month ago

I wrote to 7-Eleven and Del Monte. When we’re traveling with kids, we sometimes get a little desperate and have to visit convenience stores. I’d hate to have to choose to buy a unhealthy snack or a plastic covered banana!

6 years 1 month ago

Here is part of del monte’s reply to me (leaving out the advertising):
Thank you for your recent comments regarding our CRT™ bananas. For your reassurance, the bags are recyclable and we are still working on a more sustainable solution. Also, these bags do help the environment. Because their shelf life is now doubled, the number of truck deliveries are reduced, which provides a corresponding reduction in the carbon footprint. With a longer shelf life, there is less waste; and food waste does come with an environmental cost. Many may not know that imported bananas are transported in plastic… Read more »

6 years 1 month ago

I called them! Call the 800 number and press 6. The woman was super nice and even gave me a case number. Please – everyone else call as well!

6 years 1 month ago

I suspect that the ripening is part of the point – they probably pick them green and then gas them in the bags (I’m guessing). Most of the plastic litter I find in the street is food packaging, from fast food places or convenience stores. I’ve never found a banana peel… Thanks Erin – I was going to ask about contacting Del Monte too!

6 years 1 month ago

Does seem pretty stupid when bananas keep for weeks and the skins keep them clean.. and some people like them over ripe anyway

6 years 1 month ago

Besides…don’t bananas ripen FASTER when they’re trapped in a bag with their own ethylene gas?

6 years 1 month ago

Not only should we be complaining to 7-11, we should also be demanding that Del Monte Fresh Produce Company ) stop wrapping bananas, and any other fresh produce, in plastic!

6 years 1 month ago

Called them and lodged my complaint. Thanks for letting us know about it.

6 years 1 month ago

Just sent them a letter!

John Costigane

Hi Beth,

This plastic promotion must be inspired (wrong word) by the plastics industry. They live in a dream world where plastic is loved by the people and the plastic industry is the leading world industry. They and 7-11 need a reality check.

Elizabeth B

*incoherent flailing*

That has to be one of the stupidest ideas I’ve ever seen. WTF.

6 years 1 month ago

You know, that plastic wrapper isn’t going to keep that banana from bruising or getting smashed either. Kooky.
.-= Condo Blues´s last blog ..How Much Attic Insulation is Enough? =-.

6 years 1 month ago

I guess at least 7-11s SELL bananas? I thought they just sold twinkies … hey you know what’s yellow on the outside, white on the inside and has a plastic wrapper? A 7-11 banana.

OMG! The atrocity!!!

Linda Anderson
6 years 1 month ago

If that isn’t stupid plastic crap, I don’t know what is. Free the banana!!!
.-= Linda Anderson´s last blog ..A Greener Halloween =-.

6 years 1 month ago

BANANA FAIL! Gotta be on of the worst pacakging ideas I have seen in years. Of course How many people actually buy their produce from 7-11?
.-= Rob´s last blog ..Vending Machines go green =-.

6 years 1 month ago

Argh! Making packaging biodegradable or recyclable should always take second place to avoiding it in the first place. I hope that the bagged bananas die a swift, swift death.
.-= Amber´s last blog ..The Princess Pose =-.

6 years 1 month ago

You’ve got to be kidding me. That’s redonkulous. I swear, people will try anything to turn a buck in this economy. “Hey, did you hear about those NEW bananas?” “Yeah, they’re SEALED FOR FRESHNESS!” *eyes rolling and rolling and…*