Reducing Plastic Waste: January 2010 Collection Results
Posted By Beth Terry On February 1, 2010 @ 3:30 am In Monthly Results 2010 | 14 Comments
6.4oz Plastic Waste [3.2oz new/3.2oz acquired prior to June 2007]
It’s a new year and a new plastic collection. For those just joining this blog, every month I collect and tally my plastic waste to see how far I’ve come and what still needs to be done. As I mentioned in my post “8 Reasons Why Personal Changes Matter ,” it’s only after looking at our own waste and trying very hard to find alternatives that we can see clearly where the limits are and what companies we need to target or civil actions to engage in. So, here’s January’s tally:
Plastic purchased before June 15 2007 and used up in the last month (3.2 oz):
- 6 expired pairs of contact lenses & blister packs. I think these were actually bandage contact lenses prescribed back when I was having terrible cornea problems. Expired and unusable at this point. Found while cleaning out bathroom cupboard.
- 1 bottle lens cleaner and cap. Same cupboard.
- 1 bottle expired eye drops and cap. Ditto.
- 2 plastic bags also found in that bathroom cupboard. Contained some kind of bathroom hardware at one time… I think.
- 1 venus razor cartridge & package. The only time I use these plastic cartridges is when traveling with carry-on baggage because double-edged razor blades don’t go over well at airport security. I’ve had this one since before I started this project in June 2007, and it’s finally started leaving scars on my knees. See below for details on my usual plastic-free shave method.
- Plastic from my old cell phone SIM card. Found this one while cleaning a desk drawer. It’s funny how much plastic waste I still find lurking in my house.
- Plastic packing tape. Found in the back of a closet. You’d think with all this cleaning out of things my house would be spotless by now. And you would be sadly mistaken.
New plastic waste (3.2 oz):
- Styrofoam packaging from birthday gift teapot. This was the cute little teapot  I decided to keep instead of regifting, as I would normally do with gifts packaged in plastic.
- One prescription bottle plus cap.
- Scotch tape from a birthday gift received. I think this may have also been from the teapot.
- 1 plastic seal from around a jar of Berkeley Bowl peanut butter. The jar is glass and the lid is metal.
- 2 plastic seals from around cartons of Ben & Jerry’s Coffee Heath Bar Crunch. Honest, no more! In fact, I’m swearing off dairy for a while for reasons you don’t really want me to go into on this blog.
- 3 caps from glass bottles of Straus milk. See below for explanation of where our milk comes from and the reusable glass bottles. Sadly, I’ve noticed Straus is moving to a disposable cardboard carton with plastic liner. Here’s hoping they never give up on the glass bottles. And here’s wishing they’d do something about these darned plastic caps. Like take them back, for example. (Take Back the Cap???) But of course, I already said I’m swearing off milk for a while. Whatever.
- 1 cap & neck threads from glass bottle of Spectrum canola oil . So far I’ve been able to find oil in glass bottles, but they all have plastic caps.
- 3 plastic drinking straws! David from GlassDharma  will be so disappointed in me. While I was in Hawaii with my family earlier this month, I forgot three times to request no straw in my drink. That’s two more times than all of last year. I think I need a refresher course in how to do this plastic-free thing.
- 10 plastic envelope windows. Insurance company, financial company, credit card company, some tax-related forms, and a jury summons! In fact, as you read this, I am probably sitting in a jury room waiting to find out if I’ll be required to perform my civic duty. I’ve never actually been chosen for a jury, although I came close one time. Could be interesting, but I have so much to do this week, I’m hoping today is not my lucky day. Is that unpatriotic of me?
Article printed from My Plastic-free Life: http://myplasticfreelife.com
URL to article: http://myplasticfreelife.com/2010/02/2010-month-1-6-4-oz-plastic-waste/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fakeplasticfish/4322094256/
 8 Reasons Why Personal Changes Matter: http://myplasticfreelife.com/2010/01/8-reasons-why-personal-changes-matter/
 cute little teapot: http://myplasticfreelife.com/2010/01/birthday-plastic-report/
 Spectrum canola oil: http://spectrumorganics.com/?id=6#j42
 GlassDharma: http://glassdharma.com/
 Plastic-Free Shaving.: http://myplasticfreelife.com/2007/08/plastic-free-shaving-part-1/
 My visit to Straus Creamery, the source of my milk: http://myplasticfreelife.com/2009/10/learning-where-my-food-comes-from-a-field-trip-to-straus-dairy-farm/
 About plastic envelope windows: http://myplasticfreelife.com/2009/04/year-2-week-42-results-05-oz-of-plastic/
Click here to print.