Reducing Plastic Waste: February 2010 Collection Results
Posted By Beth Terry On March 1, 2010 @ 1:55 pm In Monthly Results 2010 | 17 Comments
6.9oz Plastic Waste [5 oz new/1.9 oz acquired prior to June 2007]
For some reason, February felt like a very, very long month. Gray drizzly days. And we don’t even get snow here.
Welcome to those who are discovering this blog after watching the segment on ABC7 morning news  today. Every month I collect and tally my plastic waste to see how far I’ve come and what still needs to be done. As I mentioned in my post “8 Reasons Why Personal Changes Matter ,” it’s only after looking at our own waste and trying very hard to find alternatives that we can see clearly where the limits are and what companies we need to target or civil actions to engage in. So, here’s February’s tally:
Plastic purchased before June 15 2007 and used up in the last month (1.9 oz):
- 1 container Mexican chili powder plus sprinkle lid & cap. As I’ve mentioned before, as I use up spices, I replace them from the bulk jars at Whole Foods where I bring my own container.
- 4 dried up pens. I went through my pen holder and added the used up ones to my collection. These days, I mostly use pencils and a refillable fountain pen  with cartridge converter  that lets me refill from a bottle of ink.
- 1 piece of tape from picture I removed from wall.
- 2 blister packs from pkgs of buttons. I found these in my sewing supplies box while looking for a button for my new knitted iPod case . I have a huge bag of buttons. So big, I’ll probably donate many of them to the East Bay Depot for Creative Reuse . I certainly will never sew enough to need all of them. Want some?
- 1 window from a box of candles. Still finding random plastic things in drawers.
- 1 plastic baggie. Also found in a drawer.
- Wrappers from 5 chewable Pepto Bismol tablets. Have had these things for years. I’m sure they must have expired by now. But they still work.
New plastic waste (5 oz):
- 1 BalanceIt bottle, cap, insert, & scoops. This is the supplement we add to our homemade cat food. We have reduced out cat food waste down to this one bottle every couple of months. Still, I have written to the company to request that they don’t include brand new scoops in each bottle. Repeat users can just reuse the scoops we already have. Haven’t heard back yet. Need to contact the company again it seems. See Less Impact Cats Eat Homemade Food  for more information.
- 2 prescription bottles plus caps. Precription bottles are not refillable in California.
- 2 lenghs of packing tape. From a review copy of a book and a box of vegan chocolates. Mmmm…
- Foam insert from a bottle of vitamins. The bottle was glass. But there was a protective insert under the cap.
- 2 doses of Frontline flea treatment. This stuff is the bane of my existence. It’s totally toxic, I’m sure. But nothing else we have tried works. And our cats don’t even go outside! They are picking up fleas we bring into the house despite our non-negotiable no shoes rule. If we weren’t renters, I would rip up the wall-to-wall carpet in a second.
- Key card from Disneyland hotel. I should have included this card in my tally last year when my boss took us to Disneyland . And hotels should collect the cards and reuse them!
- Expired SF Film Society membership card. I have not renewed. Rarely have time for movies these days.
- Plastic juror badge. I intended to return this badge to the court for reuse at the end of my jury service. However, the night before my second day of service, the clerk called to say I wasn’t needed. So now I’m stuck with this plastic badge. Should have left it at the court house after the first day. I knew they wouldn’t want me after finding out I’m a green blogger. It was an asbestos case, of all things!
- 8 plastic envelope windows. Insurance company, financial company, Kaiser Permanente, one tax-related form, and a notice from GE about my dishwasher. Learn more about plastic window envelopes  here.
Article printed from My Plastic-free Life: http://myplasticfreelife.com
URL to article: http://myplasticfreelife.com/2010/03/reducing-plastic-waste-february-2010-collection-results/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fakeplasticfish/4398775869/
 ABC7 morning news: http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=resources/lifestyle_community/green&id=7303890
 8 Reasons Why Personal Changes Matter: http://myplasticfreelife.com/2010/01/8-reasons-why-personal-changes-matter/
 refillable fountain pen: http://lamyusa.com/fountain_main_alstar.php
 cartridge converter: http://lamyusa.com/lamy_refills_LZ24.php
 knitted iPod case: http://myplasticfreelife.com/2010/02/knitted-ipod-cover/
 East Bay Depot for Creative Reuse: http://www.east-bay-depot.org/
 Less Impact Cats Eat Homemade Food: http://myplasticfreelife.com/2008/10/less-impact-cats-eat-homemade-food/
 my boss took us to Disneyland: http://myplasticfreelife.com/2009/12/reconciling-disneylands-personal-impact-with-environmental-impact/
 plastic window envelopes: http://myplasticfreelife.com/2009/04/year-2-week-42-results-05-oz-of-plastic/
Click here to print.