September 23, 2010

I Wish I Could See You

But I can’t because I’ve worn out my eyes in front of the computer, and I can’t see anything right now. Good thing I can touch type. But seriously, I need some help. My doctor suggested I go back to using the plastic-encased eye drops I used a few years ago when I had a cornea problem. So I did. And they didn’t even work. *Sigh*

Refresh Endura eye drops

Does that picture look blurry?  Because honestly I can’t tell.  My eyes refuse to focus.  Yesterday, I was looking at various fonts for a project I was working on, and I thought, “Ooh, that one looks nice.  It has a drop shadow under it.”  Um, a drop shadow that only I could see!

Some people would say I have Computer Vision Syndrome.  Eyes sore and red.  Double vision.  Headache.  I’ve had this problem intermittently for a few months now, but this week is the worst.  I know I need to lay off straining my eyes for a while.  But with the eye problems I’ve had in the past, I want a professional opinion to make sure it’s not something more serious, so I’m off to the eye doctor this morning, hoping he can fit me in.

Will you help me???

Would any of you like to guest post here?  You could write anything to do with plastic: a cool plastic-free alternative you’ve found; challenges you’re encountering; a plastic-related issue that has you in a huff; or a cool company that is doing the right thing. Whatever.  Pictures are great too.

I’m not sure how long I’ll have to lay off the computer.

33 Comments on "I Wish I Could See You"

JuddDunagan
7 months 16 days ago

You guys need to try out Crocodile Tears. I do programming and I am on the computer 12 hours a day http://croctears.com/avoid-eye-strain-working-computer/

Nova Lee

Beth, Chinese medicine is great at solving these sort of problems. In chinese medicine the eyes are related to the liver and the emotion of anger. It is all very connected. For herbs I recommend Dr. Zhang. For accupuncture I don’t have anyone right now but definitely worth looking into.
Good Luck…
Dr. Zhang
Hop Hing Herb Company
1027 Stockton Street
San Francisco CA 94108
Tel: 415 986-7899

Darris

Hi Beth,

I hope you’re finding some solutions to your eye problems. I began using Gunnar computer glasses about a year ago. I started having chronic issues with my eyes and could barely tolerate looking at the computer screen. I LOVE my Gunnar glasses! Putting them on is ahhhhhhhh, to my sore eyes. This is an adjunct to whatever you’re doing but it may be of help.

Also, Coastal Cleanup Day in Bodega Bay went famously! What a fun day we all had out at Bodega Dunes . . . my table was a HUGE hit ~ I can’t wait to do more in the future. I love educating people in a fun way that has them curious and excited.

I wish you the best of luck with your eyes. We all miss you out here . .. .

Reenie

YES, DO TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF. THERE’S SO MANY WONDERFUL OFFERS FOR WRITING ON YOUR BLOG. IF YOU LIKE, I WOULD DO A PIECE ON BPA / LEAD/ AND OTHER STUFF ADDED TO PLASTICS.

MAYBE YOU HAVE A YOGA FRIEND THAT CAN SHOW YOU SOME EYE MOVEMENTS / EXERCISES THAT COULD BE BENEFICIAL. AND GENTLY RUBBING THE FACE, AND MANY OTHER WAYS TO RELAX THAT OTHERS HAVE MENTIONED.

YOUR WORK HAS BEEN SO HELPFUL TO ME, I’M SO GRATEFUL!

SusanB

Hope there’s an easy way to resolve the eye issues Beth. I went through this a couple months ago, was sure my prescription must have changed dramatically. But no — the solution: wear my computer glasses whenever I use a computer be it desktop or laptop (bifocals with mostly midrange and close) and get a e-reader (e-ink really cuts down on the glare strain issues).
If your issues persist, I’m sure I can think up a good guest post but I don’t have time right now.
Feel better.

Tanya

BETH! I AM WRITING THIS IN ALL CAPS SO THAT YOU CAN SEE MY MESSAGE! IF I COULD MAKE IT A LARGER FONT I WOULD! THIS SOUNDS VERY SCARY AND HAS ME GREATLY CONCERNED! I READ YOUR BLOG EVERY DAY AND YOU FREQUENTLY BLOG ABOUT GETTING SICK… MORE SO THAN NORMAL. HONEY, I LOVE YOUR EFFERVESCENT PERSONALITY AND YOUR INCREDIBLE PASSION BUT YOU NEED TO TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF! PLEASE, PLEASE MAKE A COMMITMENT TO MAKE YOUR HEALTH YOUR TOP PRIORITY AND TAKE A BREAK WHEN NECESSARY. I WILL TRY TO SUBMIT A GUEST POST SOON. :) FEEL BETTER!

I know exactly what you are talking about, I sometimes have the same problem, where my eyes start to ache intensely.

For me, it is caused by a mixture of the following two things:

1) Excessively bright computer monitors.
2) Over use of black on white colour schemes.

To solve these problems, turn down the brightness of your monitor (or better, calibrate it) and switch to a white on black colour scheme. The following post describes how to do these things:

A computer monitor is NOT paper, by staring at a white monitor, you are essentially staring at a powerful rectangular light bulb.

Hi Beth,
I have had dry eye problems on and off for years. Omega 3’s and other essential fatty acids have helped me. Here is a quick article which seems to give a good overview. Just in case you don’t want to read the whole thing– I basically take borage oil, primrose, flax, fish oil — not all at once but through out the week. I think variety helps and is more natural . I like Mountain Rose herbs for my oils. That article: http://www.eyeworld.org/article.php?sid=3385

If you are interested in a post about plastics and pets I am your gal! Wishing you moist eyes soon!

I agree with everyone else. Take care of your eyes first. I can attempt a guest post, but since I started graduate school my own two blogs have lain fallow! But I am always looking at plastic alternatives, so if I find something interesting that you haven’t written about yet, I will something your way.

I’d like to point out, however, that as a journalist, I note that the story here is um, eye issues from the Computer Age. I’m actually having some relief from computer work because of the heavy reading load in my classes, the majority of which I am reading in hard copy, either books or print outs of journal articles.

I say try the speech recognition software and look out the window while you are dictating, then go back and edit. And get away from the computer. And I know you are working on a book, which you can also tape or write (you know with a pen and paper!) and pay someone to transcribe!

And once you go back to the computer, set a timer and get up every hour and walk around and look in the distance–out a window or go outside and peer into the horizon.

I hope you are better soon. We need your continued good works. And thanks all who posted alternatives to standard eye drops.

David

Just take care of yourself!! I’m sure you’ll have friends and readers lining up to guest post. It’s all for the greater good.

Scott Haas

Beth We e-mailed back and forth comparing eye troubles a couple years ago when I was writing my blog Least Footprint and had to stop too because of my eyes. Without going into details my condition cause my eyelids to get so swollen they ruptured. The doctor prescribed the little plastic drops,lots of time away from the computer and lots of hot packs on the eyes. If that didn’t work he said it was on to more potent stuff then if that didn’t work it would be surgery. Well, I’m kind of an all-natural guy that doesn’t care for drugs, needles and knives too much so I went in search of an all-natural cure instead. It took me quite a while to sort it all out but here is what I found that worked for me. I continued using the little plastic droppers for about a year and did the hot eye packs faithfully morning and night to help get the major inflammation down. At the same time I began taking the Liquid Herbal extract “Turmeric Chamomile” from Herb-Pharm in Williams Oregon. Whole Foods in your area probably has them. I took this three times per day in water by mouth and still take it but not every day now. Turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory and the Chamomile is there to assist the Turmeric. This was not an immediate cure but the dryness and the inflammation in my eyes eventually went away mostly and I don’t even think about it much anymore. I still have rare occasions where it flares up; usually if I have been in a dusty or dry environment or get overtired; but I saw the doctor just a few months ago and he was a little amazed it had nearly completely gone away. He had said on my first visit I would be on the drops several times per day for the rest of my life and would never find relief from the dryness and swelling. My lids don’t click anymore form being dry like they did since I was a kid and I rarely use the little plastic drops anymore. I keep them on my desk for the times I do but that is very rare. The last batch expired before I used them up. I credit this to the Turmeric. So, hang in there. There may be a natural cure for your condition too. Google “Natural Eye Care”. There are a few good sites out there to find info. Llots of conditions come down to simply inflammation and Turmeric is great for that. I would be willing to guest post a few for you. I’m not as efficient at avoiding plastic as the Fake Plastic Fish; you are the unchallenged champion; but I still have that streak in me that cringes every time I find myself forced to buy plastic. And the spinning gyre in the Pacific; and now the Atlantic has been known to cause steam to rise from my scalp a time or two. Take care of yourself and get well. It may be a slow process but the body can heal itself if we give it the opportunity. Scott

Shell

I would love to guest post to help you out. Not sure how interested people would be, but since I am a recent convert only becoming aware within the past year of how my bad habits of 20 ounce sodas, fast food, and overly packaged children’s toy were hurting more than my body and wallet! I could write about the transition from never recycling to recycling, as we are just getting used to it here since our local company doesn’t recycle! They trash everything in one even when we separate out paper, plastic, and trash!

Rebecca

Oh no! That doesn’t sound like much fun at all. This may sound crazy, but have you tried palming? It’s basically extreme rest for your eyes. You close your eyes and cover them with the palms of your hands to completely block out the light. Most people suggest 30 minutes per day. I usually lie down and prop up my arms with pillows. It is SOOOO wonderful.

Hope it gets better soon!

Ok… so I may have found focus. Just talked to my pal Bonnie (The Plastic Ocean http://theplasticocean.blogspot.com) and she’d be interested in doing a guest post (she says we’d do it together)… she’s going to be traveling from Rio to Cape Town in November (www.panexplore.com) … we/she could come up with something to guest blog about… I’ll guarantee it’ll have something to do with plastics in the oceans…

I have Dragon Naturally Speaking. It takes a little getting used to but it could be helpful to you.

I can do a guest post of my last plastic collection week. I only have FOUR ITEMS in my tally!

Wow, you have a lot of responses! Let me know if you need something from me. Check my blog, and feel free to use or comment on the plastic bag monster films I did for AB 1998 with/for Green Sangha!

Beth, I’m so sorry you are having these eye troubles. Please do take care and lay off. As ‘plastic’ is not my field, I can’t offer to guest post, but I will think of you and send loving, healing energy your way.

Hi Beth,
Hope the eyes get better soon. Hopefully all you need is some fresh air and natural light away from the computer screen but by all means go to the doctor to rule any sort of infection.

I have been thinking about doing a post about charity bottled water – you know those one’s that are endorsed by a celebrity or elite sports person basically selling water in a plastic bottle to raise money for a cause. There’s one particular here in New Zealand backed by a high profile rugby player. It’s just really gets me how some people who wouldn’t normally buy bottled water think that all the bad things about bottled water get cancelled out just because the particular brand will donated 50cents or something per sale to a charity.

I would but I can’t even get myself to start writing my own blog posts. I’d like to see a post about plastic free halloween candy (since I probably won’t get around to writing it myself), and maybe even low sugar or non-candy alternatives to give out. I just don’t know if I have the patience to do the research.

hope your eyes get better, I know how bad the computer is on the eyes!

Darris

Sorry to hear of your eye troubles Beth. I’ve worn contacts for over 30 years and have struggled at times with eye infections, double vision and almost continual redness. . . . I will keep positive thoughts about you finding a resolution.

I am putting together a table for Coastwalk CA as part of Coastal Cleanup Day this Saturday. I’ve taken Green Sangha’s theme, ‘Rethinking Plastic’ and used that as my guide. I intend to take photos of the day and I would love to share them on Fake Plastic Fish if that works for you.

I love (the other) Beth Terry’s comments and agree with her thoughts on your condition. Her suggestions for getting around staring at the screen for endless hours makes good sense. We need and appreciate your voice Beth, whatever we can do to help we will do. It’s good of you to ask.

all the best to you ~