November 5, 2010

Watch it here: TEDx Great Pacific Garbage Patch

Please join me here on Fake Plastic Fish tomorrow (or today if you’re reading this on Saturday) for an unprecedented worldwide web event on plastic pollution. The TEDxGreatPacificGarbagePatch conference takes place Saturday, Nov 6 from 8:30am to 6pm Pacific Time. I’ll be joining an incredible lineup of speakers, including Dr. Sylvia Earle, Van Jones, David de Rothschild, Ed Begley Jr, Captain Charles Moore, Stacy Malkan, Arlene Blum, and many many others for this one day information marathon covering topics from plastic in the ocean to plastic in our bodies, and covering solutions from personal actions to global initiatives and getting businesses on board. See the complete agenda here. I go on some time after 1:20pm PT.

You should be able to view the live stream in the player below. If you have any trouble, please click to view at

tedxgp2 on Broadcast Live Free

If you’d like to embed the livestream on your own personal blog (and I encourage you to do so!) you can grab the code from here:

I’ll be checking comments throughout the day, so feel free to leave your thoughts right here. I’ll try to respond.

Or follow the #TEDxGP2 twitter stream. It’ll be like we’re all there together!

23 Responses to “Watch it here: TEDx Great Pacific Garbage Patch”

1. Beth Terry says:

Also? I think there is some confusion about time zones because I actually went on later than I expected. But no worries. I’ll post links to videos when they are up.

2. Beth Terry says:

Thanks for watching, everyone. The day was amazing. Unfortunately, I was not able to tweet or blog during the event because electronic devices were not allowed in the space. But I’m actually glad because I gave the speakers my undivided attention.

Videos of the talks will be posted on the web, and I’ll let you know as soon as they’re up.

3. Hi Beth,

An artist friend of mine passed the link around for the TedX talk.
    Great job! Those photos of plastic-strewn beaches and waterways were so hideously familiar. I collected a truckload of plastic crap off Scottish beaches in 1988 and used it for sculptural installations in a touring show for two years – then I couldn’t bear it anymore. Thanks for sticking with the issue and using so many creative ways to bring awareness to the plastic pollution, which has gotten so much worse in the last 20 years.

My approach has morphed into something closer to home – I draw on empty paper coffees cups – mine and cups I collect from friends. I fill them with my shredded papers, and top off with the plastic lid. These are trash-into-art objects.
    See photos on my blog.

All best,

Gwyneth Leech

4. Genna says:

I’d like to post these videos to Facebook. When will they be available on youtube, vimeo, or in other embeddable format?

5. I’m so proud of you. I can’t wait to see this.

6. Jeanne says:

Excellent job on TEDx!!!!!!!!! Woo hoo!!!!!!

7. Ed Mahoney says:

Good job with your talk at Tedx. You didn’t seem nervous at all. I caught most of the talks, poetry, and songs. I’ve made some progress in reducing my personal use of single-use plastice, but I think this weekend has given me the motivation to make a much stronger effort. Thanks to you and the Albatross, now its off to the country of Crapola.

8. Michelle Cassar says:

You went on earlier than planed! I missed you. Bumma. Hope it went well. I´ll find you on youtube & go back to my party :-)

9. Dmarie says:

Thank you and Crunchy Chicken for telling me about the conference, and thank you, thank you for your excellent presentation. Well done!!

10. ecokaren says:

I have it posted on my blog, my fb page, profile, Eco Etsy Team page, the team’s blog, and tweeted like a MAD woman. So you are well covered on my end. Now, the tricky part is not to miss YOUR presentation. Good Luck!!!

11. We are hosting a Watching Party here in Wakefield, Quebec, CANADA. We can’t wait for the event to start! We posted the live stream on our main page at We will be asking all our guests to sign the pledge.
    Good luck Beth!
    – Chantal

12. Katy says:

You are linked up on Non-Toxic Kids, Beth! Good luck. I’m cheering from Vermont.

13. Michelle Cassar says:

Hi Beth! I´ll be watching you from Portugal. Ducking out a friends party that is on the next street to do so!

Hope to catch alot of the day also. I´m letting friends know as well.

& breath…… :-)

14. Hi Beth!
    Linked up and ready to go.
    Good luck, tomorrow!!! :)

15. Beth Terry says:

Sari, that’s so strange. Someone else had that prob too. You shouldn’t have to purchase an upgrade. Just paste the code using the html tab. Also, don’t preview after you do it. Just publish and look at it on your blog.

16. sari says:

Beth I am new to WordPress and am finding it difficult to embed the link. It looks like I have to purchase an upgrade to embed video. I did a post about the talk and posted a link to the site.
    Good luck tomorrow, I will be watching!

17. Tracey says:

I’m SOOOOO proud to know you!

Rock on! Tracey

18. Sonja says:

I can’t watch it tomorrow because I’ll be marching at the biggest Anti-Atom-Demonstration in Germany :-D. They’re expecting 30,000-50,000 people in the city of Dannenberg, in the middle of nowhere.

WIshing you the best and hoping you’ll forgive me ;-)

19. Beth Terry says:

Clif, yes. But don’t tell anyone because I want them to watch tomorrow and because I don’t know how long it’ll take them to get the videos up.

20. Clif says:

FAAAAAAANTASTIC! My only question is – once it is done will it be available to stream for those who won’t catch it live?

1. […] went down. And Beth Terry of FakePlasticFish has a great overview of Van Jones‘ presentation here. Knock yourself out, plasticheads. There’s a LOT of good stuff here. The video gallery alone […]

2. […] will be checking comments throughout the day, on her blog, Fake Plastic Fish. Feel free to leave any comments or thoughts you might have for her and she’ll try to […]