January 12, 2011

Klean Kanteen Reflect stainless steel water bottleUntil now, all Klean Kanteen stainless steel water bottles came with plastic caps: either 100% plastic or stainless with a hard plastic top. But I’m happy to let you know about the new Reflect bottle, which is completely plastic-free.

Two years ago, shopping with my friend Ruchi for a new Klean Kanteen to replace the one that was stolen from her, we discovered that the bottles automatically came with a 100% plastic cap and that if you wanted the partially stainless steel cap, you had to buy it separately and end up with two caps. I ranted about the plastic cap policy and wrote a letter to Klean Kanteen requesting they give customers a choice from the start.

This past November, I met up with Scott and Jeff from Klean Kanteen at the TEDxGreatPacificGarbagePatch event in L.A. and learned that they have gone even further than merely offering the choice of more plastic or less plastic. Now, you can choose a bottle that is 100% plastic-free and paint-free as well. The logo is laser-etched into the bottle, replacing paint which can wear off over time.

Klean Kanteen Reflect stainless steel water bottle

The cap is stainless steel and bamboo with a foodgrade silicone ring for a tight seal.

Klean Kanteen Reflect stainless steel water bottle

But here’s the thing: Don’t buy this bottle if you already have a perfectly good stainless steel water bottle! I don’t want you to, and I don’t think Scott or Jeff want you to either. Get it for a friend who is still drinking out of plastic. Get it for yourself if you’re still drinking out of plastic. Opt for the Reflect bottle if your current bottle gets lost or stolen, like Ruchi’s did. But remember, steel is incredibly energy-intensive, and it doesn’t help the planet to eschew plastic water bottles and then stock up on multiple metal ones.

Remember: we can’t buy our way out of the ecological mess we’re in. Products like the Klean Kanteen Reflect bottle can help us reduce waste and avoid toxic chemicals, but only if we purchase them mindfully and in moderation. Perhaps at some point, Klean Kanteen will offer the Reflect stainless cap separately for people with perfectly good bottles who just want to replace their plastic caps. How about contacting Klean Kanteen to ask for that option?

Disclosure: If you purchase a Klean Kanteen via one of the BuyGreen.com links on this page, a portion of the proceeds go to support MyPlasticFreeLife.com.

48 Comments on "Klean Kanteen introduces new Reflect plastic-free bamboo stainless steel water bottle"

Nancy
1 year 4 months ago

You can now buy the caps separately!

1 year 5 months ago

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to start my own blog now.

1 year 6 months ago

Absolutely I strongly Agree with you.

BethTerry
1 year 7 months ago

ChicagoSparrow Check out the Environmental Working Group’s guide for choosing a water filter.  The first step is to get your water tested to find out exactly what’s in it.  The next step is to figure out which filter will remove those exact contaminants.  They don’t all do the same thing.  Here’s the link to the EWG guide:  http://www.ewg.org/report/ewgs-water-filter-buying-guide

1 year 7 months ago

I am joyous when reading your blog with revised information! thanks alot and wish that you will mail more site that are related to this location.

1 year 7 months ago

I value the blog post.Really express gratitude you! Great.

Currency Meter
1 year 7 months ago

I really appreciate this item. Really cooling.

1 year 7 months ago

This is my first time i visit here. I discovered so many interesting stuff in your blog particularly its consideration. From the tons of comments on your items, I guess I am not the only one having all the pleasure here!

1 year 7 months ago

Thank a lot for the tips of becoming a more unique business! Yes, I think that it’s really important now days to provide readers with original and practical content, new website design and so on… If you have some high-quality ideas to write, you will always get companies to your posts!

BonnieJCarroll
1 year 8 months ago

ChicagoSparrow How about getting a Berkley Water Filter? They are stainless steel. It would let you transform your tap water into clean, safe, good for you water!

ChicagoSparrow
1 year 8 months ago

Greetings!  The water where I live is really bad…3 neighbors on my street got brain cancer, one died.  So I order 5 gal jugs of Ice Mountain water and fill my stainless steel togo cup.  But, yes, I work hard at no plastic–any suggestions as to how I can get large amounts of water without 5 gal plastic jugs!!  Thanks so much!!

Trevor's Eco-Education Foundation » Top 2 Ways to Reduce Plastic Waste
2 years 5 days ago

[…] tap water. Get a reusable stainless steel bottle (Klean Kanteen has just come out with a completely plastic-free water bottle — no plastic on the cap at all!) or stainless steel travel mug, fill it up with tap water before […]

Excellent stuff from you man.

That for share this great info with us about the plastic caps.. I really like your post and also your article.. Thanks for this  great resources..

[…] Carry re-usable shopping bags (super cute ones…ECO Bags and Project Green Bag). 2. Give up bottled water. 3. Shop your local Farmer’s Market. 4. Say no to plastic produce bags. 5. Buy from bulk bins […]

[…] bottle. Klean Kanteen also has stainless steel insulated coffee “mugs” and various othercompletely plastic-free (no PVC, no plastic) beverage […]

Meredith Torres
4 years 1 month ago

I applaud the efforts of Klean Kanteen to make a plastic free drinking container and to offset the environmental impacts of shipping it to me. The bottle was released this week and I wanted to show my support so much that I paid almost $50 for it. You can imagine why I was shocked and really disappointed this morning when it was delivered and my invoice came attached to the outside of the box, wrapped in PLASTIC! Really? This defeats the whole point. I sent them a note too.

Great idea (replace caps only). I’m going to email KK right now.

Michelle

I lost 3 KK this year. One at a festival, One at a friends Yoga retreat. Then last weekend at the beach I lost the special edition one I WON through the Plastiki photo competition. Gutted. Would means I also lost 3 plastic caps. I think they are great & all & think it´s fab they are going 100% plastic free, but for me I really need an option that´s a little more “scatty” friendly & less precious. (they are even more expensive in Europe) need to get my thinking cap on before it gets hot & I really need one.

Honestly- I never think about the caps and such, On my water bottles. I suppose since I don’t think of them as being disposable has something to do with it. Thanks for opening my eyes beth