September 3, 2013

Why I Love My Blender

I’m back home from Burning Man and so glad to be able to have my morning green smoothie again. When I wrote that post, I promised a follow up about my blender. Well, here it is.

Back in 2011, I wrote about hanging out with my friend Mark and watching him make homemade ketchup. What I didn’t mention was how impressed I was with his blender.

image

It’s a Waring Pro MBB518 stainless steel blender. Mark said that even though it only has two speeds, it’s the sturdiest and best blender he’s ever had. But what caught my eye was that there is no plastic at all inside the glass pitcher to come into contact with the food.

See, my current blender, a Kenmore that I’d had for years and that also had a glass pitcher had plastic at the bottom that twisted on and off for cleaning.

image

I wasn’t crazy about that plastic inside the pitcher, but it wasn’t enough to make me chuck the machine for a new one. And then the bottom started to leak. And the leak got worse and worse every time I used it. Green smoothie pouring out all over the kitchen counter. I tried to think of how I could fix it, and then I made the same decision I made in the case of the aluminum rice cooker back in July. I opted to recycle it at Green Citizen and order the kind of blender Mark has to avoid the plastic in the bottom.

After my experience with the Lotus Foods rice cooker packaging plastic and styrofoam, I was interested to see how the Waring would be packaged.

image

So, I opened the box and found… cardboard! The glass pitcher is wrapped only in cardboard.

image

I knew there had to be some plastic in the box, and I was right. But compared to the way most things are packaged these days, I’d say it’s less.

image

So… about the construction of the blender itself… this sucker is heavy. The base is stainless steel, and when you set it down, you can be sure it’s not going anywhere. There is a plastic section at the top of the base that holds the pitcher in place…

image

But there is no plastic inside the pitcher itself. And no removable parts. The blade assembly is attached to the pitcher.

image

Well, when I say it’s not removable, I mean you don’t remove it to clean it. You can remove the blade to replace it if it wears out. Amazon sells replacement kits,which is awesome, so you don’t have to replace the whole pitcher.

Compare my old blender and new blender. The old one has a lot of plastic and a lot of buttons, most of which I never used. The New one has much less plastic (only the middle ring assembly, power cord, and pitcher top) and only two speeds controlled by a simple metal switch.

image

And compare the bottoms. The Waring looks like it could easily be opened up for repair.

Made in the USA

image

I was also happy to purchase a Waring instead of any other brand because the machines are assembled in the United States, rather than in China like most brands. They do, however, contain some foreign parts. I don’t think there’s any getting around that these days.

And as I mentioned in my green smoothie post… or should have if I didn’t… The machine works great for its intended purpose. I don’t need to liquify anything. Not trying to turn veggies into soup in 10 seconds. All blenders these days that are powerful enough to do that (Vitamix, Blendtec, etc.) come with plastic pitchers. They say it’s because glass can break at such high speeds, but that doesn’t explain why they don’t offer a stainless steel pitcher option for those who want to avoid plastic.

Anyway, my blender is solid and beautiful and makes me happy every morning when I use it.

Disclosure: I did not receive anything from Waring for writing this post (although if they wanted to send me something now I wouldn’t turn it down.) But the above links are Amazon affiliate links, so if you order through clicking links on this page, My Plastic-Free Life receives a little bit of commission to support this work.

47 Comments on "Why I Love My Blender"

Sort by:   newest | oldest
Sandy
2 months 29 days ago
The stainless steel mixer blender is available online. You can buy Sumit or Preethi brand. All the three jars are total. i mean total stainless steel except the handle outside the jar. It comes with small chatney jar where you can also grind your spices and also coffee. The middle size is for semi solid things or spices in large qty. and the big one is for smoothies. Only thing is you can not put hot things in it like soup. When I make soup, after boiling the soup, I separate the hot water and put only veggies after they… Read more »
Merlyn
6 months 16 days ago

I know this post is old but do you have an update on your blender? What do you put in it and how strong is it? Any recommendations for a blender like Vitamix that doesn’t use plastic of Teflon?

Carol
11 months 16 days ago
I bought my first Waring (Blendor” it was originally called) back in the 80s for $5.00 at a garage sale. It had a bakelite lid. It was quite old, and unfortunately leaked from the bottom. I wish I’d kept it, though. Years later, I bought a new one. Unfortunately, I used it to crush ice on a daily basis. First one of the blades broke, then another, then a third, and the glass cracked. Woe is me! At the time I couldn’t afford to replace the glass jar, and buying another brand of blender was simply out of the question.… Read more »
Maria
11 months 20 days ago

Great info. I was looking at the Oster Osterizer 14-Speed Blender, although it has a plastic base, the jar is made out of glass, sold for less then $25 at Walmart online, but the glass jar has 5% boric acid which is dangerous to humans and animals when ingested. Does anyone know if the Waring glass jar has boric acid? Thanks.

B.F.
11 months 28 days ago

WELL, IT’S 2015 AND I’M GLAD THIS IS STILL ON THE WEB! I AM FRANTIC FOR A GLASS CARAFE WITH MINIMUM PLASTIC! THANK YOU! WHY, OH WHY, DON’T THOSE MANUFACTURERS HEAR THE VOICES OF THE HEALTH CONSCIOUS CONSUMERS?

Sandy
2 months 29 days ago

Everytime I find those Vitamix sales people, I keep asking them, why can’t they make the glass jar. I want to know why do you want to crush ice at all in the blender? After you make a smoothi, you can add few pieces of ice to that.

Barbara
5 months 15 days ago
Because they are doing it on PURPOSE. They cannot help themselves! They need to “take out over 6.8 Billion people and leave only 500,000 which the globalists are happy with. THIS is only ONE of their AGENDAS…It’s a rabbit hole you may not wish to go down, as you may not have the time….but it ALL makes sense. I can buy dog food with No corn wheat or soy and even made in the USA, but they can’t help but put it in an ALUMINUM bag!! There is also controversy of FISH MEAL in our animals foods. The Fukishima waste… Read more »
j666laz
1 year 3 months ago

I had the same blender and after 6 months the jar started leaking from the bottom. Waring fixed it under warranty but less than 2 years later it is leaking again. Say what you want about plastics but our 15 year old Hamilton Beach unit is still working without ever having a problem. (Hamilton Beach blender cost us about $29 whereas the Waring blender cost us $99)

Mary Brune
1 year 5 months ago

Been following your work for a long time as co-founder of MOMS and when I worked at CEH. Our last blender choked out and I was searching for a blender with a glass pitcher and came across this post. I’ll gladly buy it from Amazon so that I can 1) send you a little kick-back, and 2)send a little $ to my kids’ school through iGive. Win-Win. Yeah. Thanks! – Mary Brune

nasa
1 year 5 months ago
Hi, thank you so much for posting. I have tried to buy Waring Stainless steal to avoid plastic, but I am worried that even though it does not have plastic, it leaches PTFE/teflon into the food (used in the blade assembly), so I am thinking about this blender. But I do have a very weak digestion, and I need to be able to make nut butters and nuts milks with it…and pretty smooth smoothies (although I don’t need to make soups)…could you share how this blender handles the smoothies and nuts? Is it possible to make nut milks and butters… Read more »
Sandy
2 months 29 days ago

Try Sumit or Preethi mixer/blenders. All the three jars are made with stainless steel. Try to soak you nuts previous day night in water. I am using for the last 12 plus years without any problem. It is very strong and made for grinding tough spices. One small jar is for dry spices and for grinding coffee. You can soak nuts and also grind in this. The midsize jar also is for similar kind uses plus you can do your salsa kind semi soli/semi liquids. The big one is for smoothies.

Patty
1 year 1 month ago

Do you have any information to share about stainless steel blenders? I am in the same predicament as you and want the stainless steel one but I am not sure if it will also poison my food. Thanks.

Sandy
2 months 29 days ago
Try Sumit or Preethi mixer/blenders. All the three jars are made with stainless steel. Does not poison any kind of food. Just make sure that you do not pour steaming hot stuff in that. It just blows out of the jar when grinding. Try to soak you nuts previous day night in water. I am using for the last 12 plus years without any problem. It is very strong and made for grinding tough spices. One small jar is for dry spices and for grinding coffee. You can soak nuts and also grind in this. The midsize jar also is… Read more »
1 year 6 months ago

How has your blender held up?  This blender has quite a few bad reviews, compared with some other brands.  I have an Oster blender with glass pitcher but it isn’t working well after almost 12 years, even after replacing the blade. :(

1 year 6 months ago

I just found your blog and will definitely follow it from now on. I have been slowly getting rid of all the plastic I can in my life and I am sure your tips will be really helpful.  This one in particular already is!  I am definitely getting one of these to replace my chopper and blender (both of which have plastic!). Sigh…..

lck
1 year 7 months ago

I just want to thank you so much for this blog,  This is what I needed to hear.  I do not want a plastic smoothie maker.  Yes I keep hearing the glass will chip…. maybe if I decide to throw a few bolts in my smoothie.  I am going to buy one just like yours. Thank you so much

lynntofu
1 year 11 months ago

I am in the market to get a VitaMix, but now not so sure after reading your post. My Black n Decker (made of glass) blender works fine for my smoothies/soups/sauces/ect, but I wanted a high speed one for making nut milks. Can you make smooth nut milks in the Waring?

ScarletBothrium
I have an all metal drive Oster professional series. It has on and pulse. The base is metal. The only plastic is the ring that screws on the all metal blade and mount to the glass jar and the plug. Nothing in the blender comes in contact with plastic. I like it that way. I’m not plastic free, but I am wary about how much I use it. My daughters use mason jars and I’d like to figure out how to replace the sippy part since that’s the only plastic on the cup (and I don’t have two dimes to… Read more »
BethTerry

Your blender sounds a lot like mine.  Yes, like you, I try to avoid having my food come into contact with plastic on a regular basis.

Erin

A Thermomix has a stainless steel jug and will also cook your vegie soup while blending it. It’s an investment, but very much worth it in my experience.

Tricia Terrell Collins

Don’t forget the Osterizer is wonderful, too!

livetolist
NICE! I have a blender, similar to your ‘bad’ old one, but I got it for free on freecycle, which to me is better in some ways than buying new.  Thought I’ve never thought to (or tried) to dismantle it to clean it, and seeing it looks so similar, I shall most certainly try. Although a reader for a while, I only just grabbed your book from the library (it’s been popular), and I didn’t know if you allowed plastics that existed before you zero plastic commitment, so this post helps me understand.  Can’t wait to find out about other… Read more »
BethTerry

Chapter 9 talks about things like appliances and computers and phones.  Buying secondhand is usually my strategy except when it comes to plastic in contact with food.  I mostly still use all the same things I already had.

laurawk1
I have an Oster blender – I think it’s a recent model (got it off Freecycle when my older from-Freecycle Oster blender stopped blending well).  It has a glass pitcher, and there is also no plastic on the bottom to come in contact with food.  The blade is on a round base, and gets inserted into the glass jar with a rubber gasket (I assume this is actually rubber) between the blade and the pitcher.  Then there is a plastic base that screws onto the pitcher, and of course the blender base is plastic, and so is the pitcher lid. … Read more »

Great post, Beth. I grew up with a Waring blender my parents had – incredibly solid and dependable – and then working as a bartender years ago there were always Warings around. We were able to find a vintage VitaMix on eBay with a stainless steel pitcher and it too is a dependable workhorse – very basic but does everything we need and has that super powerful motor.  Here’s an example: http://www.ebay.ca/ctg/Vitamix-3600-Plus-Blender-/73291138

Austine

I have the Waring blender that my mom bought in the ’60’s. It looks the same except the base doesn’t have any plastic. It still works fine. I don’t use it all that often, but it is my blender. I do use an immersion stick and a high plastic content food processor that I’ve had for about 20 years.

Mark

i’m so glad you like the blender. I still love mine

TigerLee

I believe you can buy commercial vitamix with stainless pitchers. I saw them on eBay the other day.

BethTerry

Jen, maybe they are vintage?  I just checked the commercial Vitamix site, and I don’t see any stainless pitchers.

That is really cool. We use a mason jar with our blender.  Kind of like this

BethTerry

I tried that with my old blender, but it wouldn’t fit.  Also, I wanted to avoid the plastic base.  But yes, it’s a great idea.

I have a Waring like this one that was given to me at my wedding 20 years ago! I’ve used it many times per week and it is just now starting to leak at the bottom. So, maybe just a new gasket? Motor still running strong. I am impressed and hope your lasts just as long. @Melody I just put a little soap and hot water in my blender (before food gets dried/stuck on) and rinse; haven’t had any problems. I”ve also put it in the dishwasher without any problems.

BethTerry

I’m sure you can order whatever part is needed and fix it right up. I’ve seen parts on Amazon.  I’m guessing they are available from other outlets as well.

Thanks for this review! If I ever decide to get another blender I think this will be it! For the moment though, I’m very happy that I decluttered mine and replaced it with an immersion stick blender instead. It’s SOOOOO much easier for soups and sauces, which is the main thing I use it for. I’ve made a few smoothies right in the glass with it too, but you do have to leave some space at the top (ask me how I know…) p.s. So glad to finally learn what Burning Man is… here I thought it was some sort… Read more »
BethTerry

YES!  I wrote about plastic-free sunscreen after Burning Man last year:

Melody

So if the blade doesn’t come out, how do you clean it?  Are your hands flexible enough to get a scrub brush in there?

BethTerry

See my response to Kate below.  I haven’t needed to use a brush.  I just rinse it out, and it comes clean easily.  Or you can put some soap and water in it and run the motor.  Then, rinse it out.

retrohousewife5

Oh my gosh I want this! I love that it looks vintage.

Kate

Can you put the pitcher in the dishwasher? If so I am totally getting one of these for Christmas. Thanks for the write-up!

BethTerry
No, it can’t go in the dishwasher because of the blade assembly.  Waring has some complicated instructions for cleaning it, but honestly, if you rinse it out right away, it comes clean with just a rinse.  No need to get a hand in there.  After I make my smoothie, I rinse it out immediately — even before taking a sip.  There is nothing left in the bottom at all.  If it does need more than a rinse, you can fill halfway up with water, add a little soap, put the lid on, and blend it.  Running the motor with soapy… Read more »
wpDiscuz