Note: If you purchase books through any links on this site, My Plastic-Free Life receives some compensation to keep the site going.
- Plastic-Free: How I Kicked the Plastic Habit and How You Can Too, by Beth Terry. Skyhorse Publishing Company, 2012. My book is a practical guide to ridding your life — and the planet — of plastic. Lots of stories, tips, resources, as well as information about the chemicals in plastic, what really happens to your recycling, what compostable vs. biodegradable mean, and why baking soda is the most amazing thing ever discovered. Read more about Plastic-Free here.
- Plastic: A Toxic Love Story, by Susan Freinkel. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2011. A comprehensive and engaging history of the promises and problems of plastics. Read my review.
- The Zero Waste Home, by Bea Johnson. Scribner (April 9, 2013) A fun book from a woman who has taught me that zero waste includes minimalism and has inspired me to ask myself everyday, “What do I really need?”
- Plastic Ocean: How a Sea Captain’s Chance Discovery Launched a Determined Quest to Save the Oceans, by Charles Moore. Avery, 2011. Captain Moore’s amazing adventure in discovering the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, told in his own words.
- Plastiki: Across the Pacific on Plastic: An Adventure to Save Our Oceans, by David de Rothschild. Chronicle Books, 2011. Explorer and eco-TV host David de Rothschild recounts the journey of the Plastiki, a catamaran built from recycled plastic, to bring awareness to the plight of the oceans.
- Sullie Saves the Seas, by Goffinet McLaren. Prose Press, 2011. Children’s book about how a seagull calls his ocean friends to action to combat plastic pollution. Read my review.
- Paper or Plastic: Searching for Solutions to an Overpackaged World, by Daniel Imhoff. Sierra Club Books, 2005.
- Bottlemania: How Water Went on Sale and Why We Bought It, by Elizabeth Royte. Bloomsbury USA, 2009.
- Garbage Land: On the Secret Trail of Trash, by Elizabeth Royte. Back Bay Books, 2006.
- Smart Mama’s Green Guide: Simple Steps to Reduce Your Child’s Toxic Chemical Exposure, by Jennifer Taggart. Center Street, 2009.
- Slow Death by Rubber Duck: How the Toxic Chemistry of Everyday Life Affects Our Health, by Rick Smith and Bruce Lourie. Knopf Canada, 2009.
- Moby-Duck: The True Story of 28,800 Bath Toys Lost at Sea and of the Beachcombers, Oceanographers, Environmentalists, and Fools, Including the Author,Who Went in Search of Them, by Donovan Hohn. Viking Adult, 2011.
- The Non-Toxic Avenger: What You Don’t Know Can Hurt You, by Deanna Duke. New Society Publishers, 2011. Read my review.
- Not Just a Pretty Face: The Ugly Side of the Beauty Industry, by Stacy Malkan. New Society Publishers, 2007.
- Big Green Purse: Use Your Spending Power to Create a Cleaner, Greener World, by Diane MacEachern. Avery, 2008. Read my review.
- No Impact Man: The Adventures of a Guilty Liberal Who Attempts to Save the Planet, and the Discoveries He Makes About Himself and Our Way of Life in the Process, by Colin Beavan. Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2009. Read my discussion of the various sections of the book here, and here, and here, and here. And read my interview with Colin Beavan.
- The Story of Stuff: How Our Obsession with Stuff Is Trashing the Planet, Our Communities, and Our Health—And a Vision for Change, by Annie Leonard. Free Press, 2010. Read my interview with Annie Leonard.
- “7 Misconceptions about Plastic and Plastic Recycling”
- “Our Oceans are Turning Into Plastic . . . Are We?”
- “Plastic Bags are Killing Us”
- “Plastics: The Sixth Basic Food Group — Parts 1 and 2”
- “Polymers Are Forever”
- “The Plastic Sea”
- Flyer: Don’t Think About A Plastic Bag (PDF file)
- IATP Smart Plastics Guide (PDF file)