NJ Senate Bill S-812: fee on paper and plastic bags - needs YOU | My Plastic-free Life

Join the discussion. Post questions or offer useful information. Keep the content related to plastic in some way.  

Subscribe: If you would like to receive a daily email notification as new messages are posted, click here to subscribe.  (Note:  New messages are also included in the "My Plastic-Free Life Weekly Digest", so do consider how many emails you would like to receive.)

To add a new topic:  Decide which category it will be (plastic-free alternatives, plastic news, rants, etc.) and click on that category.  Then, you will see the "Add Topic" button at the top right of the section for that category.

Why Register? You may post as a guest without registering, but your post will be held in the moderation queue until I approve it, and depending on my schedule, that could take a while. If you register, your posts will go through immediately. If you have trouble registering or adding topics, please contact me for help.

Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic RSS Related Topics
NJ Senate Bill S-812: fee on paper and plastic bags - needs YOU
Statewide legislation pending: encourage your NJ State Senators and Reps to vote for S-812 and it's Assembly counterpart A3787
Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
July 9, 2013
7:24 pm
Forum Posts: 10

Dear NJers:

Bill S-812 in the NJ State senate proposes a five cent fee on all plastic and paper bags. The bill got out of committee in Dec 2012, and has been languishing in the Senate because state Senators hear more opposition than support. The Assembly counterpart A3787 has been relegated to the Consumer Affairs Committee. We need to make some noise and contact our reps and senators to let them know these bills have widespread support. They need to know we are sick of paying for these bags (cost of the bag hidden in the cost of the purchases, even when you bring your own bag), then paying to dispose of them, then paying to clean them up when the bags float/fly away, and being disgusted when we see them all over the place. Unnecessary plastic! There is an online petition too: http://www.signon.org/sign/vot…..lastic-bag

We need to build a big coalition of organizations that represent a whole bunch of votes to sway our Senators and Reps. Right now, the NJ Food Council is the loudest voice in the discussion, and this grocery store lobby does not want the bill passed. You can find your State elected officials at http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/ . Even if you don't know who they are, look under Districts on the left column, and you can find yours easily.

Let's be the first State to pass a law like this all at once (Hawaii gets credit for being first state to do so county by county).

Blessings -

NoemidlP

The following users say thank you to Noemidlp for this useful post:

Plastic-Free Ericka Moderator
July 11, 2013
4:08 pm
Forum Posts: 20

I really hope this bill passes! Since San Francisco started charging for plastic bags, more people are bringing their reusable bags to the grocery store or are refusing bags altogether.  

July 12, 2013
6:18 am
Forum Posts: 10

As of right now, the bills are unlikely to pass unless NJers raise their voices, write letters, and communicate to their elected people that we want this. I really look forward to when NJ catches up to some common sense sustainability practices from the West Coast. 

Please tell anyone you know in NJ about this. It would be great to see a big wave of support for this idea. And it will save us lots of bucks on disposal of the bags, and having to pay the embedded costs of the bags in what we buy. 

The following users say thank you to Noemidlp for this useful post:

Plastic-Free Ericka Moderator
July 15, 2013
8:31 am
Forum Posts: 20

I'm sharing this with my friends in New Jersey now. I'll try and get the word out as much as possible! Thanks for sharing! 

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: 320

Currently Online:
32 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Members Birthdays
Today None
Upcoming None

Top Posters:

Eve Stavros: 54

Clif: 38