Welcome. I'm Beth Terry, an accountant from Oakland, Calif. In 2007, I unexpectedly found myself an activist, author, and public speaker after learning about the devastating effects of plastic pollution and my own plastic footprint. This site has evolved from a simple blog (formerly known as "Fake Plastic Fish") to a comprehensive resource on plastic-free living. Please explore, join a challenge, ask questions, subscribe. Together, we can change the world.
Recent Blog Posts
Read the book
Plastic-Free: How I Kicked the Plastic Habit and How You Can Too
NEW updated version with foreword by musician Jack Johnson. Available NOW in beautiful 4-color trade paperback, original hardback, digital, or audio version (read by Beth Terry).
- Berkeley, CA - Plastic-Free July Show & Tell, Solutions Share & PicnicWhen: Sat Aug 1, 2015 1pm to 3pm PDT Where: Martin Luther King, Jr. Civic Center Park, Berkeley, CA, 94704, United States Event Status: confirmed Event Description: A casual get-together with Beth Terry and Ecology Center staff. Bring the disposable
- Berkeley, CA - From Here to China: Secrets of Plastic RecyclingWhen: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7pm to 9pm PDT Where: Ecology Center, 2530 San Pablo Avenue, Berkeley, CA 94702, United States Event Status: confirmed Event Description: Why do we send so much of our plastic waste to China for recycling? What actually happen
- Berkeley, CA - DIY Body Care Workshop & Action to Ban MicrobeadsWhen: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1pm to 3pm PDT Where: Ecology Center Classroom, 2530 San Pablo Avenue, Berkeley Event Status: confirmed Event Description: Learn to make your own Skin Cleansing Scrub and Toothpaste, with alternative ingredients to plastic mic
- Berkeley, CA - Berkeley Marina Shoreline Clean-upWhen: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9am to 12pm PDT Who: Beth Terry Plastic-Free Events Calendar Where: 160 University Avenue, Berkeley, CA, 94710, United States Event Status: confirmed Event Description: Join the Berkeley Marina Experience Programs and the Ecol
- Berkeley, CA - POTLUCK LUNCH AND PLASTIC-FREE LIVING WITH BETH TERRYWhen: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1pm to 3pm PDT Where: Ecology Center Classroom, 2530 San Pablo Avenue, Berkeley Event Status: confirmed Event Description: Are you curious about simple, every-day strategies to reduce plastic in your life? Join a potluck lunch
Take the Challenge!
Do You Know Your Plastic Footprint?
Join participants around the world in the "Show Your Plastic Trash" Challenge! No guilt. Just education.
Join the Discussion
- Beth Terry on help! i give out water bottles and want to stop!Hi. If it's only 2-4 people, could you simply bring reusable cups and take them back home and wash them?
- melaniem on help! i give out water bottles and want to stop!I recently realized the irony that while I don't personally use water bottles and haven't for years, I actually hand chilled ones out to my
- volcanicprncess on Prescription GlassesI used to work at an optical place, but I won't name names. Glass is still the best, visually, but is extremely unsafe. If you have a high prescr
My Plastic-Free Life Videos
Here are my top 99 steps to get started on a plastic-free journey. Choose a few to begin with. Don't try to do it all at once!
1. Carry reusable shopping bags.
2. Give up bottled water.
3. Shop your local farmers market.
4. Say no to plastic produce bags.
5. Buy from bulk bins as often as possible.
6. Cut out sodas, juices, and all other plastic-bottled beverages.
7. Buy fresh bread that comes in either paper bags or no bags.
8. Return containers for berries, cherry tomatoes, etc. to the farmer’s market to be reused.
9. Bring your own container for meat and prepared foods.
10. Choose milk in returnable glass bottles.
Read the rest here.