Welcome. I'm Beth Terry, an accountant from Oakland, Calif. In 2007, I unexpectedly found myself an activist, author, and public speaker after learning about the devastating effects of plastic pollution and my own plastic footprint. This site has evolved from a simple blog (formerly known as "Fake Plastic Fish") to a comprehensive resource on plastic-free living. Please explore, join a challenge, ask questions, subscribe. Together, we can change the world.
Recent Blog Posts
Read the Book
Plastic-Free: How I Kicked the Plastic Habit and How You Can Too
NEW updated version with foreword by musician Jack Johnson. Available NOW in beautiful 4-color trade paperback, original hardback, digital, or audio version (read by Beth Terry).
Date: July 17, 2016From 11:00 am to 12:00 pm
Location: South Berkeley Senior Center, 2939 Ellis St, Berkeley, CA 94703, United States
Sunday Assembly East Bay is an inclusive secular community dedicated to celebrating the one life we know we have!…
Take the Challenge!
Do You Know Your Plastic Footprint?
Join participants around the world in the "Show Your Plastic Trash" Challenge! No guilt. Just education.
Join the Discussion
Most recent posts from the forum...
- Beth Terry on Animal fat in plastic bagsIt seems like it is. Here are a couple of links: http://nfscfaculty.tamu.edu/ta.....21-Chapter 21 Fats and Oils from Animals.pdf http://www.persistenc
- dorothee on Animal fat in plastic bagsHello, As you may know I am doing Environmental Illustrations with the I Spy A Bag project on FB, instagram & twitter. I am in NYC and currently
- Rowan on Food/Water Storage with Steel Allergy?It looks like they only have steel containers and glass containers with steel lids
- Beth Terry on Food/Water Storage with Steel Allergy?Life Without Plastic offers lots of glass options. Have you looked there? http://lifewithoutplastic.com
- Rowan on Food/Water Storage with Steel Allergy?Me, my sister, and my mom are all allergic to steel, usually causing a rash from extended skin contact like from jewelry. My mom, however, has Crohn
- magnolia on waxed cloth (replacement for plastic wrap)Ditto, I'd love to know if anyone has had success with ratios? Thanks
- Katracha on plastic free showerheads,plastic free waterDoes anybody know of any plastic free showerheads I have a fabric curtain and moved into my new apt this month and the showerhead is old and rusty and
- marion on Eco Vegan Toothbrush websitehello beth, hello folks, i thought you might like to know about my site cheers from marion https://ecotoothbrush.wordpress.com/
- Dylan on Best Yogurt Makers?I use my Instant Pot to make yogurt. The insert is stainless steel, sometimes I make the yogurt right inside the insert and sometimes I put glass jars
- MeganF on Best Yogurt Makers?Don't worry about the plastic material, it's sturdy enough to last for ever. I believe that electronic part will start malfunctioning before
Read more posts...
My Plastic-Free Life Videos
Here are my top 100 steps to get started on a plastic-free journey. Choose a few to begin with. Don't try to do it all at once!
1. Carry reusable shopping bags.
2. Give up bottled water.
3. Shop your local farmers market.
4. Say no to plastic produce bags.
5. Buy from bulk bins as often as possible.
6. Cut out sodas, juices, and all other plastic-bottled beverages.
7. Buy fresh bread that comes in either paper bags or no bags.
8. Return containers for berries, cherry tomatoes, etc. to the farmer’s market to be reused.
9. Bring your own container for meat and prepared foods.
10. Choose milk in returnable glass bottles.
Read the rest here.