Yesterday was the official worldwide launch date of Plastic-Free: How I Kicked the Plastic Habit and How You Can Too. Lloyd Alter from Treehugger posted a beautiful review. So many of you have ordered signed copies from me to benefit the Plastic Pollution Coalition, that I keep selling out and having to order more!
That’s fantastic. But there are many more people who don’t get their information from blogs or the Internet and who don’t know there are steps they can take to get plastic out of their lives. I want them to know that, in the immortal words of candidate Obama, “We are the ones we are waiting for!” We have the power to change the world through our personal and community actions, and my mission is to give people tools to do just that!
Please help me spread the message of this book far and wide. There are lots of things you can do to help. Just as I have Action Items Checklists in the book, here is a long list of possible things you can do to help, ranging in levels of effort. Please do as many as feel manageable for you. Leave a comment below letting me know what steps you have taken.
Steps You Can Take to Promote Plastic-Free: How I Kicked the Plastic Habit and How You Can Too
1) Purchase the book, of course. If you already have it, consider giving some as gifts.
2) Give a 5-star rating and post a review on Amazon.com. The more positive reviews and high ratings, the higher the book will rank on the site and the more visible it will be. Also? Let’s counteract any backlash we might get from the plastics industry when they get wind of this book. :-)
3) Request your local bookstore or library carry the book. By the way, the book received a great recommendation from Library Journal. You might want to mention that.
4) Promote the book on Facebook. “Like” the new Plastic-Free Book Facebook page. Post the book to your own page or profile. Here’s the best link to use: /plastic-free-how-i-kicked-the-plastic-habit-and-how-you-can-too/
5) Promote the book via Twitter. Here is a sample tweet I came up with, but you can probably think of something more creative:
Kick your plastic habit. http://bit.ly/plasticfreebook The new book “Plastic-Free” by Beth Terry @PlasticfreeBeth can show you how!
7) Post a badge for the book on your blog or website and link it back to https://myplasticfreelife.com/plastic-free-how-i-kicked-the-plastic-habit-and-how-you-can-too/
8) If you participate in affiliate programs, add the book to your Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or Indiebound widgets.
10) Review the book on your blog or website. Or contact me for an interview.
11) Do you have connections to members of the media? Please let them know about Plastic-Free and MyPlasticFreeLife.com and give them my contact information. Let me know if there’s someone you think I should approach or have my publisher approach. (Please don’t say Oprah or Ellen or Martha unless you know them personally or have a direct connection to their people.)
12) Sell the book directly. Do you have a retail shop (either online or offline)? You don’t have to own a bookstore to add the book to your shop. Contact me to learn how.
13) Do you know of a store, either online or offline, that would be a perfect venue for this book? Please contact me and let me know about it.
14) Suggest Plastic-Free to your book reading group. I have created a free, downloadable Readers Guide to spark conversation.
15) Arrange a presentation/book signing for your organization. Contact me to discuss.
16) Share this post to let other people know all the things they can do to help spread the word.
Thank you all! The truth is, there is no other book on this topic in the world. Sure, there are books that discuss the environmental problems with plastic, but this is the first of its kind to give step-by-step solutions and real world examples of people who are making a difference. Please don’t allow this book to be stuck in the green ghetto. Let’s take plastic-free mainstream!