Happy almost Thanksgiving, Americans. For those of you for whom Thanksgiving just wouldn’t be right without green bean casserole, I present: DIY organic condensed cream of mushroom soup that honestly tastes better than Campbell’s. It’s so good, I was eating it straight out of the pan with a spoon last night. I hope I still have enough tomorrow to make my casserole. (Only sort of kidding. This recipe makes a lot!)
Three years ago, I confessed to my weakness for casseroles that contain Campbell’s cream of mushroom soup. Now, there’s all sorts of badness associated with that product: from the BPA and/or other mystery plastic lining the can to the non-organic, factory farmed ingredients. Still, I couldn’t imagine living without it…
…until now. My recipe is a modified version of this one I found at Deep South Dish. Warning: This is NOT health food and it is definitely not vegan.
- 1/2 cup of organic unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon organic dried onion flakes
- 1/4 cup of finely minced organic celery
- 2 cups of finely diced fresh mushrooms of your choice. I chose shiitake because they are my favorite.
- 1 cup of white wine
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 3/4 cup of organic flour or cornstarch or the thickener of your choice. (I used cornstarch because we happened to have it in the house.)
- 3 cups of hot broth. I used organic Better Than Bouillon mushroom base. (Read my review here.)
- 1 cup organic half and half or whole cream.
- Immerse onion flakes in water for about 15 minutes to rehydrate. (Alternatively, you could immerse them in some white wine. I just now thought of that.)
- Sautee the mushrooms in white wine in a skillet until they release their water. Stir frequently so they don’t stick and burn. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet and saute the onion flakes and celery over medium heat until tender but not browned. Stir in the sauteed mushrooms and salt; cook and stir about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the thickener a little at a time until fully incorporated, about 4 minutes, stirring constantly. You’ll have a smooth paste.
- Increase heat to medium high and slowly add the broth a little at a time, stirring constantly until fully incorporated and the texture is creamy.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Slowly stir in cream.
- Use about 1-1/4 cups to replace a can of soup. Use any place where you would use Campbell’s Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup. Can be frozen.