I'm Beth Terry, an accountant living in Greenbelt, MD (by way of the San Francisco Bay Area). In 2007, I unexpectedly found myself an activist, author, and public speaker after learning about the devastating effects of plastic pollution and my own plastic footprint. This site has evolved from a simple blog (formerly known as "Fake Plastic Fish") to a comprehensive resource on plastic-free living. Please explore, join a challenge, ask questions, subscribe. Together, we can change the world.
Recent Blog Posts
Click image to read story, or peruse all 751 posts.
Read the Book!
Plastic-Free: How I Kicked the Plastic Habit and How You Can Toois your illustrated, practical guide to living with less plastic, updated with new chapter and foreword by musician Jack Johnson. Click here to learn more.
Here are my top 100 steps to get started on a plastic-free journey. Choose a few to begin with. Don't try to do it all at once!
- Carry reusable shopping bags.
- Give up bottled water.
- Shop your local farmers market.
- Say no to plastic produce bags.
- Buy from bulk bins as often as possible.
- Cut out sodas, juices, and all other plastic-bottled beverages.
- Buy fresh bread that comes in either paper bags or no bags.
- Return containers for berries, cherry tomatoes, etc. to the farmer's market to be reused.
- Bring your own container for meat and prepared foods.
- Choose milk in returnable glass bottles.
Join the Discussion
- Beth Terry on Plastic wrap alternativea cloth towel?
- Beth Terry on Tofu - not wraapped in plasticIt is available in bulk in some natural food stores. It depends on where you live and what stores are available.
- Dani Shap on Plastic-Free TravelsI’ve been travelling a lot lately and I’m finding I’m getting pretty bummed out when I have to say no to things I really want like smoothies, cocktail
- Nicki on Plastic-Free Office SuppliesHi I have spent most of this morning trying to find suppliers of affordable office stationery that does not come wrapped in plastic. To no avail. We u
- Davinder on What are your top plastic saving items?Hi - I'm wondering how to alert prescription drug providers - ie the manufacturers and the distributors, eg CVS, to recycle the plastic container
- Zellie on GCSE Survey - one-use plasticHi everyone, I am doing a project in Design and Technology and want to produce a product that allows a reusable product to be used instead of plastic
- Laura on Vitamins and herbal supplementsI recently found this supplement company that has glass bottles and metal lids. They don't have any multi-vitamins, but they do have a nice sele
- Rick on Plastic wrap alternativeIs there a product I can use to replace the plastic wrap when using a meat tenderizer mallet to pound chicken?
- Selys on Vegan, Biodegradable, and Zero Waste Dental FlossHi all! I just found the motherload - a vegan, biodegradable, and zero waste dental floss. Treasures by Sandra US in Etsy has a dental floss that come
- Linda on Tofu - not wraapped in plasticHi, I have a colleague who told me that they can't find any Tofu that is not wrapped in plastic. Does anyone know if this is available? Thank yo
My Plastic-Free Life Videos
Take the Challenge!
Do you know your plastic footprint?
Join participants around the world in the "Show Your Plastic Trash" Challenge! No guilt. Just education.