I'm Beth Terry, an accountant living in Greenbelt, MD (by way of the San Francisco Bay Area). In 2007, I unexpectedly found myself an activist, author, and public speaker after learning about the devastating effects of plastic pollution and my own plastic footprint. This site has evolved from a simple blog (formerly known as "Fake Plastic Fish") to a comprehensive resource on plastic-free living. Please explore, join a challenge, ask questions, subscribe. Together, we can change the world.
Recent Blog Posts
Click image to read story, or peruse all 751 posts.
Read the Book!
Plastic-Free: How I Kicked the Plastic Habit and How You Can Toois your illustrated, practical guide to living with less plastic, updated with new chapter and foreword by musician Jack Johnson. Click here to learn more.
Here are my top 100 steps to get started on a plastic-free journey. Choose a few to begin with. Don't try to do it all at once!
- Carry reusable shopping bags.
- Give up bottled water.
- Shop your local farmers market.
- Say no to plastic produce bags.
- Buy from bulk bins as often as possible.
- Cut out sodas, juices, and all other plastic-bottled beverages.
- Buy fresh bread that comes in either paper bags or no bags.
- Return containers for berries, cherry tomatoes, etc. to the farmer's market to be reused.
- Bring your own container for meat and prepared foods.
- Choose milk in returnable glass bottles.
Join the Discussion
- Mojave on Seeking some kind of plate to carry in my purseHas someone found a way to carry in a purse a plate or a plate with a high lip that is sort of like a bowl? I wish I could find one that is foldable
- greengal on Plastic wrap alternativeThey have these silicone sheets which you can use like plastic wrap. They are dishwasher safe and you can bake with them in the oven up to 400 so it c
- PJCANOPYS on Wall GardensGet Canopy with Centerpole in Usa at Pj Canopys. we provide the best center pole that can be used in conjunction with a table. For more details visit:
- eve on South Pacific Island Nation of 80 Islands, Plastic BanI wept. Thank you Vanuatu. Eradicating “the new lead” is important to our future.
- Nancy on What are your top plastic saving items?I have recently started using Abeego beeswax wraps to cover bowls and to wrap cheeses, half melons, lemons, etc. I really like them. I know that one c
- BrianScott on giselle bedding euro top mattress queenSimpleDeals.com.au has the best deals for giselle bedding euro top mattress queen that will offer you a comfortable and luxurious experience with free
- Beth Terry on Plastic wrap alternativea cloth towel?
- Beth Terry on Tofu - not wraapped in plasticIt is available in bulk in some natural food stores. It depends on where you live and what stores are available.
- Dani Shap on Plastic-Free TravelsI’ve been travelling a lot lately and I’m finding I’m getting pretty bummed out when I have to say no to things I really want like smoothies, cocktail
- Nicki on Plastic-Free Office SuppliesHi I have spent most of this morning trying to find suppliers of affordable office stationery that does not come wrapped in plastic. To no avail. We u
My Plastic-Free Life Videos
Take the Challenge!
Do you know your plastic footprint?
Join participants around the world in the "Show Your Plastic Trash" Challenge! No guilt. Just education.