Looking to reduce the amount of plastic in your life? GET STARTED HERE.
Welcome. I'm Beth Terry, an accountant living in Greenbelt, MD (by way of the San Francisco Bay Area). In 2007, I unexpectedly found myself an activist, author, and public speaker after learning about the devastating effects of plastic pollution and my own plastic footprint. This site has evolved from a simple blog (formerly known as "Fake Plastic Fish") to a comprehensive resource on plastic-free living. Please explore, join a challenge, ask questions, subscribe. Together, we can change the world.
Recent Blog Posts
Click image to read story, or peruse all 751 posts.
Read the Book!
Plastic-Free: How I Kicked the Plastic Habit and How You Can Toois your illustrated, practical guide to living with less plastic, updated with new chapter and foreword by musician Jack Johnson. Click here to learn more.
Here are my top 100 steps to get started on a plastic-free journey. Choose a few to begin with. Don't try to do it all at once!
- Carry reusable shopping bags.
- Give up bottled water.
- Shop your local farmers market.
- Say no to plastic produce bags.
- Buy from bulk bins as often as possible.
- Cut out sodas, juices, and all other plastic-bottled beverages.
- Buy fresh bread that comes in either paper bags or no bags.
- Return containers for berries, cherry tomatoes, etc. to the farmer's market to be reused.
- Bring your own container for meat and prepared foods.
- Choose milk in returnable glass bottles.
Join the Discussion
- TheEcoFriendlyMarket on TheEcoFriendlyMarketplace - Plastic free alternatives!!!Hi All! I am new to the plastic free community and wanted to share the launch of my new online store https://theecofriendlymarketplace.com/ Our missio
- V. on Plastic-free bookbinding?I know discussion boards aren't that popular anymore, but I confess I feel a bit desperate. How on earth does one achieve plastic-free book produ
- Dana on Plastic Waste During Corona Virus: Forbes articlehttps://www.forbes.com/sites/lauratenenbaum/2020/04/25/plastic-waste-during-the-time-of-covid-19/#6dee94607e48
- Lisa-lmi on Plastic Dental Night GuardI've been diagnosed with oral Lichen Planus & my older sister has it, as well. We've found that plastic pop/water bottles and mouthguard
- Earthlover on Protein supplements without plasticI’m so happy I found this group. I’m currently in the process of sending emails about excess packaging to many protein brands. I’ve found a few great
- Matte Blk on http://AbstractVocabulary.blogspot.comIm so fully ready to die now (Im a Near Death Experiencer); to ascend and live in peace and e-harmony for eternity to RITE with you 999×999+ nonillion
- Charlie BL on Plastic Free Natural Deodorant - Wild - Anyone tried it?Hi everyone, I remember reading a thread here a few months ago about the lack of truly sustainable beauty / personal care products. Have come across a
- Angela on CPAP plastic free alternatives (or reduction techniques)I have sleep apnea and have to use a CPAP machine, but it is 90% plastic. Worse yet, it has a built in humidifier and heated tube so the chemicals wil
- Plasticfree.uk on Plasticfree.ukReally enjoy reading these posts and the energy and passion for plasticfree. Web domain Plasticfree.uk is available, is there anyone that could use th
- BROOKE on Plastic free Hydro- and aquaponicsThis is a piece of good news. Concepts like this can help our aqua system from pollution. custom knit fabric When thrown in water it stifles our pond
My Plastic-Free Life Videos
Take the Challenge!
Do you know your plastic footprint?
Join participants around the world in the "Show Your Plastic Trash" Challenge! No guilt. Just education.