Looking to reduce the amount of plastic in your life? GET STARTED HERE.
Welcome. I'm Beth Terry, an accountant living in Greenbelt, MD (by way of the San Francisco Bay Area). In 2007, I unexpectedly found myself an activist, author, and public speaker after learning about the devastating effects of plastic pollution and my own plastic footprint. This site has evolved from a simple blog (formerly known as "Fake Plastic Fish") to a comprehensive resource on plastic-free living. Please explore, join a challenge, ask questions, subscribe. Together, we can change the world.
Recent Blog Posts
Click image to read story, or peruse all 751 posts.
Read the Book!
Plastic-Free: How I Kicked the Plastic Habit and How You Can Toois your illustrated, practical guide to living with less plastic, updated with new chapter and foreword by musician Jack Johnson. Click here to learn more.
Here are my top 100 steps to get started on a plastic-free journey. Choose a few to begin with. Don't try to do it all at once!
- Carry reusable shopping bags.
- Give up bottled water.
- Shop your local farmers market.
- Say no to plastic produce bags.
- Buy from bulk bins as often as possible.
- Cut out sodas, juices, and all other plastic-bottled beverages.
- Buy fresh bread that comes in either paper bags or no bags.
- Return containers for berries, cherry tomatoes, etc. to the farmer's market to be reused.
- Bring your own container for meat and prepared foods.
- Choose milk in returnable glass bottles.
Join the Discussion
- Charlie BL on Plastic Free Natural Deodorant - Wild - Anyone tried it?Hi everyone, I remember reading a thread here a few months ago about the lack of truly sustainable beauty / personal care products. Have come across a
- Angela on CPAP plastic free alternatives (or reduction techniques)I have sleep apnea and have to use a CPAP machine, but it is 90% plastic. Worse yet, it has a built in humidifier and heated tube so the chemicals wil
- Plasticfree.uk on Plasticfree.ukReally enjoy reading these posts and the energy and passion for plasticfree. Web domain Plasticfree.uk is available, is there anyone that could use th
- BROOKE on Plastic free Hydro- and aquaponicsThis is a piece of good news. Concepts like this can help our aqua system from pollution. custom knit fabric When thrown in water it stifles our pond
- michelle Girard on ISO of compstable/sustainable/eco friendly vacuum seal bags/rollsGood morning. I am looking for vacuum seal bags/rolls that are compostable. I know there are plastics being made from a variety of organic matter, se
- Anna on Vitamins and herbal supplementsHi guys, I read this discussion with great interest as I am developing a range of supergummies and really really wanted to do them high performance, v
- Mary Mc on plastic-free scrapbooks and photo albumsI have kept old leather and paper photo albums to reorganize some photos. Some of them have lovely translucent cellophane separator pages with a spide
- Angelika Harabin on E-clothCaveat - E-cloths are polyester / microfiber. But they eliminate the need for any spray cleaners, and they work really well. I’ve been able to elimi
- MM on Vitamins and herbal supplementsVitamin packs made with corn based compostable film: https://takecareof.com/p/eco
- Matthias on Finally Launched Our Eco-friendly Hemp Cold Brew BagsHello! As an avid reader, I'd like to briefly share about my new business focused on hemp sustainable goods. After going to Starbucks enough ti
My Plastic-Free Life Videos
Take the Challenge!
Do you know your plastic footprint?
Join participants around the world in the "Show Your Plastic Trash" Challenge! No guilt. Just education.