I'm Beth Terry, an accountant living in Greenbelt, MD (by way of the San Francisco Bay Area). In 2007, I unexpectedly found myself an activist, author, and public speaker after learning about the devastating effects of plastic pollution and my own plastic footprint. This site has evolved from a simple blog (formerly known as "Fake Plastic Fish") to a comprehensive resource on plastic-free living. Please explore, join a challenge, ask questions, subscribe. Together, we can change the world.
Recent Blog Posts
Click image to read story, or peruse all 751 posts.
Read the Book!
Plastic-Free: How I Kicked the Plastic Habit and How You Can Toois your illustrated, practical guide to living with less plastic, updated with new chapter and foreword by musician Jack Johnson. Click here to learn more.
Here are my top 100 steps to get started on a plastic-free journey. Choose a few to begin with. Don't try to do it all at once!
- Carry reusable shopping bags.
- Give up bottled water.
- Shop your local farmers market.
- Say no to plastic produce bags.
- Buy from bulk bins as often as possible.
- Cut out sodas, juices, and all other plastic-bottled beverages.
- Buy fresh bread that comes in either paper bags or no bags.
- Return containers for berries, cherry tomatoes, etc. to the farmer's market to be reused.
- Bring your own container for meat and prepared foods.
- Choose milk in returnable glass bottles.
Join the Discussion
- JoMama on Individually wrapped Halloween candyDoes anyone know of individually wrapped candy that is not wrapped in plastic? I need not-chocolate candy. Had though of Necco wafers, but I guess t
- jay on Vitamins and herbal supplementsI found this company that sell multivitamin gummy bears, for adults and children, vegan-friendly. Their packaging is made of recyclable cardboard and
- Dinah Murray on home delivery companies to add a plastic/no plastic search filterHello I have sent this message to Just Eat and also to the managing director of Deliveroo in the UK. It would be a simple change to make - perhaps it
- neil on First appempt at a plastic free shopArmed with my reusable produce bags, wax wraps a old (plastic) quality street tub and of course cloth shopping bags I hit the town. The first place I
- neil on What are your top plastic saving items?Nancy said I have recently started using Abeego beeswax wraps to cover bowls and to wrap cheeses, half melons, lemons, etc. I really like them. I know
- Payeli Ghosh on Plastic-Free Office SuppliesAt our office (JiffyRPA, @Option3), we tried to alleviate use of plastic and bottled water by adopting a simple steps for all the conference rooms. We
- Liz on PVA's?New to trying to eliminate plastic and was curious what everyone thought about PVA's? It is a plastic, but everything I read claims that it is w
- Catherine Jordan on Reducing microfiberswhen I went to the REI Richfield, MN store today to check on how REI is managing its fleece and polyester products now that the word is out about the
- Kayla on FREE biodegradable bamboo toothbrush-help protect our environmentAre the bristles non plastic?
- Cat on Tagging BarbsHi, I've just started working in an outdoor clothing kit retail shop, it's an amazing job I love it, but I have to attach the prices &et
My Plastic-Free Life Videos
Take the Challenge!
Do you know your plastic footprint?
Join participants around the world in the "Show Your Plastic Trash" Challenge! No guilt. Just education.