I'm Beth Terry, an accountant living in Greenbelt, MD (by way of the San Francisco Bay Area). In 2007, I unexpectedly found myself an activist, author, and public speaker after learning about the devastating effects of plastic pollution and my own plastic footprint. This site has evolved from a simple blog (formerly known as "Fake Plastic Fish") to a comprehensive resource on plastic-free living. Please explore, join a challenge, ask questions, subscribe. Together, we can change the world.
Recent Blog Posts
Click image to read story, or peruse all 751 posts.
Read the Book!
Plastic-Free: How I Kicked the Plastic Habit and How You Can Toois your illustrated, practical guide to living with less plastic, updated with new chapter and foreword by musician Jack Johnson. Click here to learn more.
Here are my top 100 steps to get started on a plastic-free journey. Choose a few to begin with. Don't try to do it all at once!
- Carry reusable shopping bags.
- Give up bottled water.
- Shop your local farmers market.
- Say no to plastic produce bags.
- Buy from bulk bins as often as possible.
- Cut out sodas, juices, and all other plastic-bottled beverages.
- Buy fresh bread that comes in either paper bags or no bags.
- Return containers for berries, cherry tomatoes, etc. to the farmer's market to be reused.
- Bring your own container for meat and prepared foods.
- Choose milk in returnable glass bottles.
Join the Discussion
- Asmara on Steel toothbrushHi, I'm wondering if anyone sells stainless steel toothbrushes? If not is there a way to have them produced? I'm imagining a stainless steel
- JBrown on Vitamins and herbal supplementshttps://apsu.life/shop/ APSU has a multivitamin in non-plastic packaging. They also provide bulk bags to reduce on the amount of orders and shipping.
- Circle Q on Spray BottlessmallLife said Hello all, My main objective in "going green" is to reduce (synthetic) chemical exposure and as such I am switching to a b
- Natalia Voegele on Zero Waste Boxes from Terra CycleHi, I just discovered about TerraCycle yesterday. I think it is an amazing company! I sent them an E-mail asking if they will ship the boxes to Irel
- Shannon on Is molded bamboo biodegradable?I have been seeing kitchen utensils made out of molded bamboo in the stores lately. The packaging touts the products as environmentally friendly becau
- Natalia Voegele on Family unwilling to changeI saw this post and felt I have to resurrect it. My family are not as bad admittedly in some ways as the original poster of this topic, but in others,
- Natalia Voegele on SmokingHello, I might not be very popular for this topic, but that's ok with me. I am wondering if anyone else aside from me considers the global effe
- Natalia Voegele on Guest bedWhat about simply obtaining an actual mattress for the room? I know they are expensive, but surely you could locate one second hand someplace, if cost
- Natalia Voegele on Sea turtles nesting in plastic, broadcast on Sky News in Ireland.Hi all, I saw this Monday night on the news. A crew was cleaning up an island in the Indian Ocean and Sky News filmed it. https://news.sky.com/story
- Natalia Voegele on Bamboo toothbrush vs Plastic Replacable head?Hi, I have been wondering about this, myself. I am unsure of the answer. My Sonicare bit the dust prior to my leaving for Ireland, so it got recycle
My Plastic-Free Life Videos
Take the Challenge!
Do you know your plastic footprint?
Join participants around the world in the "Show Your Plastic Trash" Challenge! No guilt. Just education.