Looking to reduce the amount of plastic in your life? GET STARTED HERE.
Welcome. I'm Beth Terry, an accountant living in Greenbelt, MD (by way of the San Francisco Bay Area). In 2007, I unexpectedly found myself an activist, author, and public speaker after learning about the devastating effects of plastic pollution and my own plastic footprint. Over the years, this site has evolved from a simple blog (formerly known as "Fake Plastic Fish") to a comprehensive resource on plastic-free living. As it happens, my life has evolved as well, and I am no longer able to update the information on this site to keep up with new information and new trends. Much of the information is still relevant and useful, so I plan to continue to maintain it as an archive for those who wish to get started reducing their plastic use.
Recent Blog Posts
Click image to read story, or peruse all 751 posts.
Read the Book!
Plastic-Free: How I Kicked the Plastic Habit and How You Can Toois your illustrated, practical guide to living with less plastic, updated with new chapter and foreword by musician Jack Johnson. Click here to learn more.
Here are my top 100 steps to get started on a plastic-free journey. Choose a few to begin with. Don't try to do it all at once!
- Carry reusable shopping bags.
- Give up bottled water.
- Shop your local farmers market.
- Say no to plastic produce bags.
- Buy from bulk bins as often as possible.
- Cut out sodas, juices, and all other plastic-bottled beverages.
- Buy fresh bread that comes in either paper bags or no bags.
- Return containers for berries, cherry tomatoes, etc. to the farmer's market to be reused.
- Bring your own container for meat and prepared foods.
- Choose milk in returnable glass bottles.
My Plastic-Free Life Videos
Take the Challenge!
Do you know your plastic footprint?
Join participants around the world in the "Show Your Plastic Trash" Challenge! No guilt. Just education.