Looking to reduce the amount of plastic in your life? GET STARTED HERE.
Welcome. I'm Beth Terry, an accountant living in Greenbelt, MD (by way of the San Francisco Bay Area). In 2007, I unexpectedly found myself an activist, author, and public speaker after learning about the devastating effects of plastic pollution and my own plastic footprint. This site has evolved from a simple blog (formerly known as "Fake Plastic Fish") to a comprehensive resource on plastic-free living. Please explore, join a challenge, ask questions, subscribe. Together, we can change the world.
Recent Blog Posts
Click image to read story, or peruse all 751 posts.
Read the Book!
Plastic-Free: How I Kicked the Plastic Habit and How You Can Toois your illustrated, practical guide to living with less plastic, updated with new chapter and foreword by musician Jack Johnson. Click here to learn more.
Here are my top 100 steps to get started on a plastic-free journey. Choose a few to begin with. Don't try to do it all at once!
- Carry reusable shopping bags.
- Give up bottled water.
- Shop your local farmers market.
- Say no to plastic produce bags.
- Buy from bulk bins as often as possible.
- Cut out sodas, juices, and all other plastic-bottled beverages.
- Buy fresh bread that comes in either paper bags or no bags.
- Return containers for berries, cherry tomatoes, etc. to the farmer's market to be reused.
- Bring your own container for meat and prepared foods.
- Choose milk in returnable glass bottles.
Join the Discussion
- Matthias on Finally Launched Our Eco-friendly Hemp Cold Brew BagsHello! As an avid reader, I'd like to briefly share about my new business focused on hemp sustainable goods. After going to Starbucks enough ti
- Beth Terry on Distilled White VinegarAngelika Harabin said https://www.stockupexpress.com/heinz-distilled-white-vinegar-786f7a.html stock up express.com Im also looking for vinegar and
- rox on toilet brushgreat products at this company. https://wildminimalist.com/collections/cleaning/products/wood-toilet-brush-w-stand
- Angelika Harabin on Distilled White Vinegarhttps://www.stockupexpress.com/heinz-distilled-white-vinegar-786f7a.html stock up express.com Im also looking for vinegar and wondering if these are
- Aviva Aiden on Time costs - how to balance?I'm a parent of 4+ kids with two jobs. I do worry about what the world is going to look like when my kids are grown (heck while they are growing)
- TrueDreamsOfWichita on Plastic free Hydro- and aquaponicsThis is awesome you are looking for plastic free alternatives. This is a problem I am putting time into. I will let you know if I ever come up with so
- R sunnybrook on Spray BottlesIf you’re looking for a sprayer with less plastic, try looking for non-aerosol (food ie oil) misters. Some are made of glass and stainless steel. The
- Brabstah on Plastic free UKSome great eco-friendly and plastic free products on this website I just read an article on: https://www.planetwood.co.uk Natural Toothpaste in biodeg
- Brabstah on The environmental impact of reusable bagsInteresting read I found here about the impact of eco-friendly alternatives to plastic bags: https://www.planetwood.co.uk/blog/the-true-impact-of-plas
- neil on What are your top plastic saving items?Nancy said I have recently started using Abeego beeswax wraps to cover bowls and to wrap cheeses, half melons, lemons, etc. I really like them. I know
My Plastic-Free Life Videos
Take the Challenge!
Do you know your plastic footprint?
Join participants around the world in the "Show Your Plastic Trash" Challenge! No guilt. Just education.