Looking to reduce the amount of plastic in your life? GET STARTED HERE.
Welcome. I'm Beth Terry, an accountant living in Greenbelt, MD (by way of the San Francisco Bay Area). In 2007, I unexpectedly found myself an activist, author, and public speaker after learning about the devastating effects of plastic pollution and my own plastic footprint. This site has evolved from a simple blog (formerly known as "Fake Plastic Fish") to a comprehensive resource on plastic-free living. Please explore, join a challenge, ask questions, subscribe. Together, we can change the world.
Recent Blog Posts
Click image to read story, or peruse all 751 posts.
Read the Book!
Plastic-Free: How I Kicked the Plastic Habit and How You Can Toois your illustrated, practical guide to living with less plastic, updated with new chapter and foreword by musician Jack Johnson. Click here to learn more.
Here are my top 100 steps to get started on a plastic-free journey. Choose a few to begin with. Don't try to do it all at once!
- Carry reusable shopping bags.
- Give up bottled water.
- Shop your local farmers market.
- Say no to plastic produce bags.
- Buy from bulk bins as often as possible.
- Cut out sodas, juices, and all other plastic-bottled beverages.
- Buy fresh bread that comes in either paper bags or no bags.
- Return containers for berries, cherry tomatoes, etc. to the farmer's market to be reused.
- Bring your own container for meat and prepared foods.
- Choose milk in returnable glass bottles.
Join the Discussion
- Anne on Epsom Salts Plastic-Free sourceHello, I am looking for a source of Epsom Salts that is packaged without plastic. I'm looking to buy in five to ten pound increments. Any ideas?
- Acacia May on Refrigerated herbsTo keep cilantro or other fresh herbs in the fridge, I put them in a jar of water and cover with an old plastic produce bag. I'm about out of bag
- BGT on Dish spongeDon't make my mistake. Skoy cloth is plastic-free. Skoy scrubbers are coated in plastic resin!! Bummer.
- Crazybirdlady on Plastic bag free bird seedIf you are talking about pet birds there really isn't anything I can find but some places, although for a bit of a price offer bird seed and suet
- Jack Wilson-Beals on Keurig descaling solutionDoes anyone have alternatives to descaling your Keurig machine that don't involve buying plastic bottles? Thanks!
- Keira Henry on How plastic or toxic are those foam stickers and foam kits kids use for crafts?Foam stickers and plastic stickers are also toxic for our environment as their life span of decomposition is very high. they are not decomposed easily
- TheEcoFriendlyMarket on TheEcoFriendlyMarketplace - Plastic free alternatives!!!Hi All! I am new to the plastic free community and wanted to share the launch of my new online store https://theecofriendlymarketplace.com/ Our missio
- V. on Plastic-free bookbinding?I know discussion boards aren't that popular anymore, but I confess I feel a bit desperate. How on earth does one achieve plastic-free book produ
- Dana on Plastic Waste During Corona Virus: Forbes articlehttps://www.forbes.com/sites/lauratenenbaum/2020/04/25/plastic-waste-during-the-time-of-covid-19/#6dee94607e48
- Lisa-lmi on Plastic Dental Night GuardI've been diagnosed with oral Lichen Planus & my older sister has it, as well. We've found that plastic pop/water bottles and mouthguard
My Plastic-Free Life Videos
Take the Challenge!
Do you know your plastic footprint?
Join participants around the world in the "Show Your Plastic Trash" Challenge! No guilt. Just education.