Plastic Dental Night Guard | Page 2 | Plastic-Free Discussion Board

sp_TopicIcon
Plastic Dental Night Guard
RSS
Dr. Barniv
August 8, 2015 - 12:05 am

Hi Rachel, no I don’t think natural rubber is a very good alternative because you are basically talking about pure latex. This is a strong allergen and can even cause an allergy over time in people not otherwise allergic to latex. They manufacturer also recommend replacing the guard several times a year and it makes little financial sense to me. The best alternative to a gold night guard is one made of 100% silicone. You can find them on Amazon. It has advantages and disadvantages like everything else. I wrote a lot more on this topic on my blog.

Dr. Barniv

patti hashim
December 8, 2015 - 7:31 pm

This will sound a bit crazy but I thought instead of using my horrible tasting new soft expensive night guard why not try something like a baby’s souse at night. It could work because it keeps your mouth from shutting, but it is truly difficult to get use to. It is safe for infants and there is hardly any plastic in your mouth. I haven’t been successful to be honest, but if I could it would be a great answer. If someone were to see me as an adult with a souse in my mouth they’d for sure send me to a shrink.Confused

Dylan
January 4, 2016 - 11:54 pm

I wear a bite plate for bruxism. Mine is custom fitted by my dentist, it’s not an OTC guard.  Next time I’m ready for a fitting, I’ll talk to him about a rubber plate.  I’ve never had problems with mine but I’ve been wearing bite plates for years, my bruxism is really bad.  If rubber isn’t available, I’m not going to stop using a plastic plate – I like my teeth too much!

Maybe you could get one made out wood. A carpenter could probably whip something up from a plaster mold, like the plaster foot casts they use to mold orthotics.  Wink

thesniffingratty
February 7, 2016 - 9:28 am

Dr. Martha Cortez makes ear inserts to wear at night the prevent grinding and also help open the ear canal.  They are 1,500$, I may swing for a set but first I need to get cranial adjustments done and fix my bite, so I am still looking for a cheap temporary solution, sounds like 100% silicone is the way to go, anyone have a brand that they like?

royaldentaldirect.co
October 24, 2016 - 8:30 am

Hey cat,

We make these appliances everyday at our dental lab.  I cannot speak for others outright, but unless they are getting their materials from china then the plastics are all BPA and phthalate free.  It’s going in a mouth so regulation will be stringent.  My guess may be that you were wearing the wrong type of guard for the type of bruxing or clenching you have.  There are certain guidelines that dictate what night guard would be right for you.

It’s also worth noting that a night guard is great and very useful but the goal is to stop grinding and or clenching all together.  There are many resources online for natural ways to help stop bruxing and clenching.

Nrthrnlghts
May 5, 2017 - 7:41 am
Awaiting Moderation

419 Posts
(Offline)
May 19, 2017 - 4:56 pm

I’m actually not using it anymore, but my dentist is nagging me to continue with Invisalign. I am not resting easy about it at all. It’s a tough decision.

Wina
September 11, 2017 - 4:02 am

Hi-
At 54 yo, I’m in what is called “the second phase of dentistry.” ( Daughter in field) I’ve learned I clench my teeth. I have cracks. (Daughter says like fine China mom) just have to wear a night guard. For about 2 years now I’ve been using a youth sized, sport, mouth guard.(.99) I’m ALWAYS freaking out about what the heck am I ingesting?? How bad is this??😵 I can’t afford to have one custom made when at some point I’ll need an implant! Crazy expensive even with insurance!
So…do I have any other NATURAL options? Anyone?
Thanks!

Rob Hill
November 24, 2017 - 1:44 pm

BPA-free is a smokescreen. The chemical companies have replaced it with BPS and BPF – far worse than BPA.

Helen
March 1, 2018 - 9:17 am

I actually received a report from the lab regarding what the night guards are made out of. The report states it is made out of plastic polymers that are deemed safe for public use. That’s all the report keeps repeating. I called the lab and emailed them over 10 times asking exactly what plastics are in the night guard. Of course no response. Apparently you cannot make a night guard that becomes flexible in warm water without BPA or a plastic like BPA.

Roland
May 6, 2018 - 5:16 pm

I’ve been looking for a day now. Found these two options. One you have to get from your dentist. http://dentrxdental.com/

The other is still in development: http://www.naturalmouthguards……works.html

I wonder if a cork or wood Mouthguard could be made…

All RSS Show Stats