Any Alternatives to Sun Block in a plastic tube? | Plastic-Free Discussion Board

sp_TopicIcon
Any Alternatives to Sun Block in a plastic tube?
Dana
April 28, 2013 - 8:50 am

I am looking for alternatives to sun block that comes in a plastic tube. Currently I get Trader Joe’s sun block and go through this quickly, tossing the plastic. Any ideas for home made or brands that aren’t super expensive either?

Thanks!

402 Posts
(Offline)
May 8, 2013 - 7:24 am
Dana
May 12, 2013 - 2:16 pm
Dana
September 2, 2013 - 8:43 pm

I recently learned about the great benefits of using coconut oil in cooking and for moisturizing the skin. Trader Joe’s sells Organic, Virgin Coconut Oil in a glass jar for @$6.00. (Don’t used processed oil) I’m replacing some of my plastic encased lotions and using coconut oil instead. Best after a shower when skin is hydrated. Web research reveals that coconut oil can also act as a partial sun screen. Perhaps this web link will be accessible for more info on that aspect. It talks about blocking UV rays but allowing vitamin D absorption. So, I may be able to minimize use of plastic in using coconut oil as an alternative.

402 Posts
(Offline)
September 6, 2013 - 2:17 pm

Hi Dana. There are also some actual sunscreens that come in plastic-free packaging that contain non-nano zinc as well as various oils with SPF. Here is a review of two of them: /2012/09/plastic-free-sunscreen-that-passes-the-burning-man-test/

electrofriend
November 21, 2013 - 7:31 am

There are lots of recipes out there for homemade versions of sunblock. I don’t know how well they work though. Here is a link for a list of 10 oils that have natural SPF http://redliplove.wordpress.co…..tural-spf/.

Michel
November 22, 2013 - 7:51 am

I use Gaia Goods sunblock. I bought it at a farmers market, however, believe she sells online. Her products, deodorant, lip balm, sunscreen, etc  Come in tin.

I’ve used these products with great success.

Her deodorant bar lasts forever.

Gaia Goods uses healthy ingredients and really cares about the environment.

I would definitely recommend her and check her products out online.

Google. Gaia Goods in Post Falls Idaho

402 Posts
(Offline)
November 25, 2013 - 6:21 pm

I can tell you about 3 different plastic-free sunscreens.

Balm Baby! sunblock comes in a glass jar and works great. And Avasol comes in a carboard tube. Here is my post about both of those brands:

/2012/09/plastic-free-sunscreen-that-passes-the-burning-man-test/

Rex Apothecary also has a plastic-free sunscreen that comes in either an aluminum container or a compostable tub. I got some in a compostable tub to take with me to the burning sun in the desert this year, and I found out that compostable tubs and melted sunscreen do not really work. The sunscreen melted right through the tub, and I had a mess on my hands. So if you try this, maybe choose the one in the aluminum container, unless it’s not going to be subjected to extreme heat.

All RSSShow Stats