Any electric kettles with plastic free interior? | Plastic-Free Discussion Board

Any electric kettles with plastic free interior?
Sandy
January 25, 2013 - 3:21 pm

I am trying to eliminate plastic from my kitchen and am surprised at how difficult it is.  I searched far and wide for an electric coffeemaker without plastic but there doesn’t seem to be one.  They are almost completely made of plastic.  I realized that I just have to toss mine and go back to basics.   I have a french press that is glass, and I just ordered the large Chemex with the handle to make drip coffee.

I would love a plastic free electric kettle to heat water for coffee and tea rapidly.  There are fewer plastic components in an electric kettle than in an electric coffeemaker, so I thought that I would have better luck.  However, I am still unable to find one that is completely plastic free inside – that is, the interior of the carafe and the bottom part of the lid.   I don’t want water or steam in contact with plastic.

I would appreciate any leads!

Eve Stavros
February 11, 2013 - 7:02 am

Don’t you just love the taste of the French press coffee?  Since I gave up my coffee maker I haven’t missed it one bit. Plus, I like the ritual of grinding fresh & preparing coffee each morning, and it really doesn’t take any more time.  (As a tip, to keep it warm I put it on a metal ring w/a tea light underneath & cover it with a flannel cozy I made, since I gave away my microwave last year).  I use an old (6 yrs!) Sunbeam Hot Shot, that heats 16 oz. of water and dispenses right into a cup or small pitcher, but it’s plastic (except for the water compartment) and I’m just waiting for it to die before replacing it with, yep, an electric kettle, so your question was a good one to get me thinking.

I found an electric kettle that actually is just like a tea kettle – stainless, but just a small amound of plastic:  http://www.walmart.com/ip/1432…..38;veh=sem

There’s another one that is mostly glass & stainless steel, with just plastic on the handle & lid, which I guess you could leave open while you heat it, so the steam doesn’t hit the lid…  http://www.chefscatalog.com/pr…..4AodpWUARg

Let us know what you finally decided on – good luck!

Gloria Levine
April 11, 2013 - 3:42 pm

I found a kettle with no plastic inside! It’s the Aroma Simply Stainless kettle and the model number is AWK-321.  The outside is white plastic, but the interior is all stainless steel.  It’s the only kettle I’ve found so far that doesn’t have a plastic lid or other plastic elements inside that is also electric.

marcia
May 11, 2013 - 3:49 pm

I read a review of the AWK-321 and the person said that the underside of the lid is plastic that’s painted to look like stainless.  Gloria, can you tell if that’s the case?  If not, I want to buy it.  Thanks,  Marcia

Sharon
May 14, 2013 - 5:02 am

Marcia – the Aroma Simply Stainless kettle and the model number is AWK-321’s lid is indeed plastic painted to look like stainless. i just bought one and haven’t used it yet because of this discovery. so, i’m back here online to continue my search. might just keep it to use until i can find one with no plastic touching the water anywhere. i know the lid doesn’t touch it but i’m concerned about condensation dripping down. if i do keep it while continuing my search, i’ll boil with the lid open. this is crazy with the plastic already. Cool

electrofriend
May 15, 2013 - 4:24 am

What about an old glass Pyrex percolator instead that you put on the stove top?

Paul busch
December 30, 2013 - 3:26 pm

Here’s what a user posted about the Aroma Simply Stainless kettle on Amazon in a long thread about finding a truly plastic-free kettle: “I noticed that a few of the comments on the product’s page said the inside of the lid was plastic made to look like chrome/stainless steel so I contacted the manufacture who replied that the interior of the lid is also stainless steel. Here is their response:
Hello,

Thank you for contacting AROMA Housewares. The interior that comes in contact with the water is completely stainless steel including the underside of the lid and the pour spout. Please let us know if you have any other product questions.

AROMA Housewares
Customer Service
1-800-276-6286 option 1
Mon – Fri 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM PST”

wally jasper
February 7, 2014 - 9:14 am

I just bought an Aroma Simply Stainless electric kettle AWK 321. The interior of lid was certainly metal. I tapped it and there was no question it was metal. (I wonder if the factories in China skimped and painted plastic on certain lines of this product, since I don’t doubt the reports of other folks who experienced this.) All other parts are metal, including the strainer (which is not a fine strainer, however). There is no plastic viewing window; instead there are measurement lines in the interior indicating water fill amount. However, the kettle leaked from the seam of the spout where it attached to the kettle. I am sending it back for replacement, hoping this defect is not widespread, as this kettle truly does seem to be the only electric kettle out there that has a completely metal interior. It heated the water as quickly as my previous kettle, too.

Gloria Levine
March 9, 2014 - 7:07 pm

Marcia, the kettle is definitely metal inside. I don’t know why people are saying it’s just painted.  The outer part of the lid is white plastic and the inner portion is metal.  The only problem I have noticed with this kettle is that the steam that tries to escape from the lid forms a bit of condensation on the white plastic, but that is it.  I haven’t found any other kettle without internal plastic so far.  This is really something that manufacturers should take note of.

41b
June 24, 2014 - 9:56 am

Any german readers will find this topic useful: http://www.chefkoch.de/forum/2…..astik.html

Short story, this is all metal inside http://www.amazon.de/Ottoni-Fa…..Kunststoff but you have to contact them in advance and ask for a plastic limescale filter (they call it Sieb).

Ann
December 1, 2014 - 6:35 pm
402 Posts
(Offline)
December 1, 2014 - 6:44 pm
ag_forum
May 1, 2015 - 12:20 pm
Zendarah
June 4, 2015 - 11:10 pm

I have a stovetop kettle that is stainless steel but for the silicone handle component. :) I got it at a department store.

Jade
October 10, 2015 - 9:08 am
Dylan
January 30, 2016 - 7:19 am

wally jasper said

Factories don’t “skimp,” they manufacture products made to the specs of the company.  If you have issues with the product, the burden is on the owner of the product, not the factory, and certainly not the entire country of China!  It’s unfortunate that the lifestyle-ist movements like “eco-ism” have spawned so much sinophobia.  I seriously doubt China would now be the #1 economy in the world if their massive  productive base was ignoring orders and going rogue in manufacturing products to their own “specs.”

I own an Aroma electric, it has a plastic handle and the electric base and cord are plastic, but the interior is stainless. It’s a great product. I hope it was made in China, I have no qualms about supporting the CPC.

Joy
July 26, 2016 - 8:58 am
amanjot
September 15, 2016 - 9:34 am

I’ve been searching this thread & many on Amazon in my goal of finding a plastic free kettle. My wife found one, it’s the Secura Electric Water Kettle. Been using this daily for a few months now. It holds 1.7 Liter/ 1.8 Quart & bring water to a boil very quickly. Pours great & no rust issues at all. Never noticed any odd taste with the water. The electric cord is very generous at 2 feet 11 inches & you can wrap the excess you don’t need under the base.

STAINLESS STEEL ELECTRIC KETTLE – NO PLASTIC TOUCHES THE WATER!Image Enlarger