bath mats | Plastic-Free Discussion Board

sp_TopicIcon
bath mats
julsie
October 22, 2011 - 9:26 am

I'm in need of two products:

1. A bath mat for outside the shower.  Anybody know of one that's washable and doesn't have a plastic backing?  I don't really care what it looks like as long as it's absorbent and easy to clean.

2.  A mat for inside our extremely slick shower.  The one we have now is plastic with suction cups on the bottom and requires regular bleaching to kill the mildew.  It's really gross, but it's saved me from an awful lot of injuries, so I can't toss it until I have a replacement.  Has anybody ever seen a natural alternative for this sort of thing?

397 Posts
(Offline)
October 22, 2011 - 4:27 pm

Hi Julsie.  We just use a simple woven throw rug outside the shower.  It's not actually a bath mat, but it works fine.

For inside, there are natural rubber mats.  Google “natural rubber tub mat” and you'll see a few. They are good if you are not allergic to rubber.

julsie
October 23, 2011 - 8:48 am

I'm always hesitant to buy rubber, because I'm afraid it's really plastic.  But thanks for the tip, I'll see what I can find!

397 Posts
(Offline)
October 23, 2011 - 12:53 pm

I think most rubber nowadays really is plastic.  But when it says “natural rubber,” it should be rubber from a tree and not from oil.

397 Posts
(Offline)
October 23, 2011 - 1:07 pm
julsie
November 1, 2011 - 8:28 am

I bought one of those, and it's great!  The plastic one would float, so it was only good for showers.  The rubber mat stays down when the tub is full, so it's keeping my rambunctious toddler a little safer in the bath.

I got a cotton shower curtain at the same time, and asked for no plastic packaging.  Most of what I ordered came in factory plastic, but there was a special note on the packing slip to NOT wrap the shower curtain in plastic, and they didn't!

Melody
November 4, 2011 - 4:25 pm

For stepping out onto we use hand towels.  I usually grab the hand towel that is hanging up and throw it down for my kids to step out on. (Then hang up a clean one for hands).  It keeps the floor drier and is warmer on the feet than plain floor.  You could have separate floor towels too I guess, like in some hotels.

Cheese2
March 14, 2015 - 8:14 pm

does anyone know if there is such a thing as disposable inside shower mats?  I have a shower upstairs that is mainly used by guests and i figure they would be weirded out like i am by using a mat someone else has used.   Something like this would also be useful when traveling.  It would make the use of hotel showers much safer.

397 Posts
(Offline)
March 23, 2015 - 10:26 am

Shower mats can be cleaned, and there are natural rubber ones. I would be more concerned about the environmental impact of disposable mats.

All RSSShow Stats