Best Yogurt Makers? | Plastic-Free Discussion Board

sp_TopicIcon
Best Yogurt Makers?
RSS
Danger Kayutak
May 8, 2012 - 10:03 am

I love yogurt and would like to start making my own, however, after reviewing many recipes I have decided my lifestyle would benefit more from a yogurt maker. The main problem: All the yogurt makers I have seen so far are made of plastic, not my first choice, of course, but if I can find a good quality one that will last for years. I mean long enough that after I am gone, hopefully many years from now, that if it’s donated to Goodwill it will still be totally usable.

I am scouring thrift stores to see if there are used ones but no luck so far, I may try ebay but never purchased anything from ebay so I am hesitant.

But if I can get recommendations for the best yogurt makers out there it would be helpful.

Thanks!

Eve Stavros
May 10, 2012 - 3:49 am

Don’t give up on the thrift stores – I found a Salton yoghurt maker w/glass jars for $5 and have used it weekly for the past 3 years w/no problems.  It’s plastic, but the containers are glass – that’s important. You don’t want the hot milk mixture coming into contact w/plastic. I’ve seen nearly identical ones online for less than $25 (the ones w/6 or 7 small jars) made by Koolatron, but don’t know how they’d hold up. Obviously, this old Salton just goes and goes, so I think it’s a good brand.  I vaguely remember them as far back as 25 years…

Car
May 20, 2012 - 12:32 pm

I make yogurt every other week or so in a small enamel pot with a close fitting lid. After the yogurt has incubated, I put the pot in the fridge (on a hot pad) and just scoop out what I need every day.

The process is quick and easy, no plastic required.

julsie
June 14, 2012 - 12:06 pm

I have a yolife yogurt maker, which I received as a gift.  It works fine.  The jars are glass, but the best feature is an extra-tall dome lid which allows you to use your own mason jars or other containers.  So if (when) I break the original yogurt cups, the machine is just as functional.

However, if I were looking to buy a new one, I’d look for something like this, which is programmable:

I just think it would earn its keep better, as a multi-purpose appliance.

Have you tried freecycle?  Lots of kitchen appliances show up there.

susandd
October 1, 2013 - 1:13 pm

Brod & Taylor bread proofer is a good option. Apart from them Euro Cuisine YM100 and Cuisinart CYM100 are also good yogurt makers.

MeganF
April 6, 2016 - 9:25 am

Don’t worry about the plastic material, it’s sturdy enough to last for ever. I believe that electronic part will start malfunctioning before the plastic wears out.

I believe that Cuisinart is one of the best brands when it comes to yogurt makers.

Dylan
April 9, 2016 - 11:25 pm

I use my Instant Pot to make yogurt. The insert is stainless steel, sometimes I make the yogurt right inside the insert and sometimes I put glass jars inside it.

Adam
March 21, 2019 - 3:52 pm

An old thread i hope to revive.

Cuisinart, Salton seems to be plastic. The Koolatron, Euro Cuisine YM100, Cuisinart CYM100 makers use little glass jars. These seem highly annoying given i want to make yogurt on a grand scale. I cant find any makers that use one large container that is made of glass or metal. i can not understand this.

Are their really no other products? please help.

Adam
March 21, 2019 - 3:56 pm

To clarify the above post. I know there are other products with large containers that are made of plastic. I want glass or metal or something with no plastic – at least not plastic for the container that the yogurt will set in.

June
May 12, 2019 - 1:33 pm

i bought a VonChef yoghurt maker second hand on ebay (though boxed and hard to believe it had ever been used), in a bid to start making my own yoghurt and stop buying it in plastic pots… It was all going well for a couple of months until the yoghurt maker broke. I’ve now got a broken (plastic!) yoghurt maker that will have to be thrown away, which is really depressing. It was basically too cheap a bit of a kit. It has a basic LED control panel that has broken after very little use – the ‘function’ button won’t cycle round so it’s can’t be turned on.

I’m now thinking it’s probably only environmentally helpful to switch to homemade yoghurt if you have an airing cupboard or boiler room where you can make it without adding more plastic gadgets to the world…

Mae