Best Yogurt Makers? | Plastic-Free Discussion Board

sp_TopicIcon
Best Yogurt Makers?
Danger Kayutak
May 8, 2012 - 10:03 am

I love yogurt and would like to start making my own, however, after reviewing many recipes I have decided my lifestyle would benefit more from a yogurt maker. The main problem: All the yogurt makers I have seen so far are made of plastic, not my first choice, of course, but if I can find a good quality one that will last for years. I mean long enough that after I am gone, hopefully many years from now, that if it’s donated to Goodwill it will still be totally usable.

I am scouring thrift stores to see if there are used ones but no luck so far, I may try ebay but never purchased anything from ebay so I am hesitant.

But if I can get recommendations for the best yogurt makers out there it would be helpful.

Thanks!

Eve Stavros
May 10, 2012 - 3:49 am

Don’t give up on the thrift stores – I found a Salton yoghurt maker w/glass jars for $5 and have used it weekly for the past 3 years w/no problems.  It’s plastic, but the containers are glass – that’s important. You don’t want the hot milk mixture coming into contact w/plastic. I’ve seen nearly identical ones online for less than $25 (the ones w/6 or 7 small jars) made by Koolatron, but don’t know how they’d hold up. Obviously, this old Salton just goes and goes, so I think it’s a good brand.  I vaguely remember them as far back as 25 years…

Car
May 20, 2012 - 12:32 pm

I make yogurt every other week or so in a small enamel pot with a close fitting lid. After the yogurt has incubated, I put the pot in the fridge (on a hot pad) and just scoop out what I need every day.

The process is quick and easy, no plastic required.

julsie
June 14, 2012 - 12:06 pm

I have a yolife yogurt maker, which I received as a gift.  It works fine.  The jars are glass, but the best feature is an extra-tall dome lid which allows you to use your own mason jars or other containers.  So if (when) I break the original yogurt cups, the machine is just as functional.

However, if I were looking to buy a new one, I’d look for something like this, which is programmable:

I just think it would earn its keep better, as a multi-purpose appliance.

Have you tried freecycle?  Lots of kitchen appliances show up there.

susandd
October 1, 2013 - 1:13 pm

Brod & Taylor bread proofer is a good option. Apart from them Euro Cuisine YM100 and Cuisinart CYM100 are also good yogurt makers.

MeganF
April 6, 2016 - 9:25 am

Don’t worry about the plastic material, it’s sturdy enough to last for ever. I believe that electronic part will start malfunctioning before the plastic wears out.

I believe that Cuisinart is one of the best brands when it comes to yogurt makers.

Dylan
April 9, 2016 - 11:25 pm

I use my Instant Pot to make yogurt. The insert is stainless steel, sometimes I make the yogurt right inside the insert and sometimes I put glass jars inside it.

All RSSShow Stats