Cleaning: spray bottle | Plastic-Free Discussion Board

Cleaning: spray bottle
S.Assilem
February 6, 2012 - 4:44 pm

Are there any spray bottles that LAST? I’ve been reusing a windex bottle for my all purpose vinegar spray, but it’s stopped spraying. One I had bought stopped too. They make cleaning the counters easier and I’ll need them in the summer to fight the war on garden pests. Any ideas?
Thanks!

397 Posts
(Offline)
February 7, 2012 - 8:28 pm

Have you checked to see if something is clogging the sprayer nozzle? I’ve had a few that stopped and I just had to clean them out.

Aurelia
February 19, 2012 - 3:19 pm

If you aren't opposed to buying new plastic, several companies make professional grade, chemical resistant spray bottles and nozzles.  I had a similar question a couple of months ago and decided that was the best route for me (still finishing up my traditional cleaning products, but they have good reviews).  Something about vinegar and essentials oils breaks down the spray mechanism and the chemical resistant ones can stand up to that.  You might have to do some searching, as there are mixed reviews, but it's something to think about.

sa'ada
February 20, 2012 - 5:22 am

we use spray bottles for many things.  i'm glad you asked this question because i thought of it as i was first going through this site but there are so many things i need to change that i'd forgotten about the spray bottles.  so, i found these options:

glass plant spray bottle – it doesn't say how many oz or ml this is but gives dimensions. it looks like the pump part is metal but could be silver plastic. (you can ask the seller; i would ask but i hate ebay and pay pal and can't use either one, they are so frustrating)

aluminum spray bottle – 8 oz. plastic pump and collar

4 oz at amazon

or, if you're not afraid of breaking it and you've got the money, there is this

[Image Can Not Be Found]!

397 Posts
(Offline)
February 20, 2012 - 2:36 pm

Wow.  The borosilicate spray bottle is interesting.  I didn't know such things existed, but clearly for that price, they are meant for science labs and not home cleaners.  In our house, it would definitely break eventually.

If you try the other glass spray bottle, I'd be interested to find out about any plastic parts that might be in it and also how well it works.  If it's a mister rather than a real sprayer, it might not work so well for cleaning fluids.  But do let us know if you decide to try it out.

The aluminum sprayers, as far as I know, have plastic parts inside.

propergandhi
March 6, 2012 - 2:59 am

Amazon really does stock everything. Borosilicate sprayer: if you need to conduct an experiment on the fly :)

Just want to say thanks for the discussion and this website. Been looking for a solution for a month now.

BTW idle thought: Anyone know which is more eco sound. Buying from Amazon (if delivered from a depot within walking distance) or walking to a 'mom n pop' store?

propergandhi
March 6, 2012 - 3:11 am

By 'Mom n Pop' I meant a specialist small local shop. Like say to buy a metal bike basket.

I'm from England and the large retail bike shops will definitely not have any choice to make room for more day-glo go-faster stripes. Since we seem to regard bikes as merely a fashion-statement for our children than the most efficient vehicle ever invented :(

jeannemara
July 9, 2012 - 12:21 pm

I have been trying to think of a really good reason for my having a spray bottle. It sure does make life easier, but do I reaaly need one?

MTNgirl
July 10, 2012 - 8:24 pm

I find spray bottles indispensable!  Case in point, I had vinegar and water in a glass bottle with a pour spout in the shower so I could give the inside of the shower a quick clean as I am getting out.  Well, I dropped the bottle in the shower the other day and cut my foot.  Not so smart!

gksbas
January 28, 2013 - 9:22 am

I used to have/use plastic spray bottles for my homemade cleaners.  I looked around on the web for glass ones but couldn’t find a reasonably priced one.  I decided to make my own.  I found a glass bottle in my fridge (that held hot sauces) and it had the same size thread/lid as my plastic spray bottles so I just emptied, cleaned and filled. Yeah, problem solved.

Eve Stavros
February 11, 2013 - 7:30 am

As I’m down to my last two plastic spray bottles (which have lasted for several years, but that’s ’cause I only use one) I find myself facing the same question.  Since I don’t use them to spray anything related to food, why should I replace them with glass, and more importantly, do I really need them?  Have a couple of thoughts here:

1. Recycle from friends who still are on the throw everything “away” path or buy second-hand at a thrift shop.  Still better than buying new and you know they’ll end up in the hands of someone responsible (you) who will get as much use as possible before recycling properly.

2. Use a sport bottle w/squeeze spout (they won’t clog like sprayers, are easier to direct than pouring, and I have three old plastic ones saved from bpf days (before plastic-free) which I currently use to refill from bulk dish liquid & conditioner containers at my local health food store.

397 Posts
(Offline)
February 11, 2013 - 9:30 pm

I love the idea of replacing with something you already have. The sports bottles sound like a good solution. That’s what we use to hold our “No Poo” solutions in the shower.

Ann
February 12, 2013 - 2:00 am

Eve,

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  There are still a couple of plastic drink bottles in our house (because I engraved my daughter’s name into the plastic for school, and can’t remove it), and I have been frustrated as, trying to get liquid (bulk) soap from the ceramic holder I bought in place of plastic – it just gets clogged up and my hands aren’t strong enough.  Reuse of the drink bottle would solve soap, and shampoo (same problem, not as bad).

I now have so little plastic in the house, but I guess reuse in the bathroom should be alright, little fire risk there.

Thanks again, Eve, and Beth for your columns,