Dish sponge | Plastic-Free Discussion Board

sp_TopicIcon
Dish sponge
erich
November 19, 2012 - 10:55 pm

Hi all, I just wanted to get your feedback on what your favorite plastic-free sponges are. I find that a lot of “natural” sponges still contain plastic, or they don’t say what they’re made of at all.

Thanks for your help!

Eve Stavros
November 20, 2012 - 8:22 am

Well, for someone crafty… my favorite plastic-free dish sponges are cotton washcloths I crocheted myself from 100% cotton yarn, and my favorite scrubbie is one I made using some old nylon onion bags I saved from my friend’s trash.  Myrecycledbags.com has lots of patterns for both…

Otherwise, I’m checking out the Skoy cloths that Beth has posted about when these wear out.  /2008/10/skoy-cloths-theyre-plastic-free-and/

jonnie
November 20, 2012 - 8:43 am

Agree with the crocheted dish cloths– grew up with them. Just make sure to air dry and launder regularly.

If you’re not crafty, search the Etsy website for lots of options.

Loofah or agave based scrubbers work pretty well, too.

jonnie
November 20, 2012 - 9:56 am

BTW, I also like TWIST products, but am not clear on their packaging– a lot is paper, but some looks like plastic, with an implication of biodegradability (?cellulose?).

I read Beth’s report on Skoy vs Twist, but would be interested in a response from Twist.

crazyliblady
November 21, 2012 - 9:11 am

The TWIST sponge itself looks like it could be okay, but the packaging does appear to be plastic.  I noticed that several of their other products just have a cardboard sleeve, not plastic, so why would they have this one product in plastic?  Maybe you could contact the company and ask about this.  In the meantime, they seem to have some other products which would probably be okay.

Personally, I am still using up some huge rolls of the green scratcher pads we bought a couple of years ago.  I am thinking the company must have been like a restaurant supplier or something.  I am not sure what will go to after that.  I am finding the transition to no plastic to be very difficult.  While some products I need to buy are themselves not plastic, the packaging is plastic, or if you order online, it will be packed with bubble wrap.  Even worse, it could be packed with styrofoam peanuts.  I hate those things.

crazyliblady
November 21, 2012 - 9:15 am

While they probably can’t be used for washing dishes, I have been wanting to check this product out.  I would like to get away from buying paper towels, but I can’t get the dh to wash the towels and wash cloths we have often enough.  Washing often is necessary to keep me from being exposed to gluten.

erich
November 21, 2012 - 9:05 pm

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I hadn’t even thought about making my own or finding handmade sponges online. Great ideas!

397 Posts
(Offline)
November 23, 2012 - 7:09 am

We love our Skoy cloths and have been using the same ones for years… Just toss in dishwasher to sanitize. They dry out super fast, which is why I like them better than most other cloths or sponges. And they never come packaged in plastic.

NutItOut
December 1, 2012 - 1:10 am

I have always used cotton washcloths. My mother used them in the 60’s on me as a baby and kept buying them for dishes, and clean ups if she didn’t have enough rags (cut old clothing and towel). They are cheap, do the job and to keep things sanitary I have enough to throw it in the wash at the end of the day and get a clean one out. I keep one of these at the tap and also a tea-towel and hand-towel over my oven handle. They all go in the wash at the end of the cleanup and new ones brought out for the next day. It really is a small addition to the amount of wash my family can generate. If I was on my own they would probably not need to be washed so much but I have 3 grown children and a baby in the house with plenty of visitors, for which I always cook. For us the routine works. I think people have more problems with routine and lack of knowledge when it comes to managing with what you have.

I also keep a rag bag when things wear out to use for those nasties that I really don’t want to wash (think hairy cat vomit, or oil spill). Luckily my rags are usually natural fiber and not in chemical contact so they can be thrown into my long term compost and disappear during the next year or so. I know people do not always have access to suitable compost making circumstances or knowledge but we all can find rags and cotton towelling.

I do keep a “steel wool” handy. A soapless type of knitted stainless steel. People say “no I don’t want to scratch my …”. Well I don’t need to use it on anything it would scratch. I rarely use it at all. The odd time I’m getting the excess carbon out of a burnt pot (after soaking). Most hard stains can be soaked off with the likes of vinegar and tartaric acid, bi-carb or alcohol etc.. Just need to know which natural product (or mix at times) for which job.

jenna
January 11, 2013 - 7:45 am

crazyliblady said

jenna
January 16, 2013 - 6:04 am

The 3 pack of Twist sponge cloths is packaged in non-recyclable plastic. Found that out after purchasing on line.

Hana
January 16, 2013 - 8:48 am

Hello, I find it silly to buy a dishcloth…I use an old Tshirts my kids stained. Cut them in cute squares. Some of them have cute patterns, especially girls T shirts. easy to wash, when they are too old I used them for supper dirty job then throw them into compost pile…

All RSSShow Stats