Gum | Plastic-Free Discussion Board

sarahfrank
April 9, 2013 - 7:09 pm

It’s been recommended (by a professional) that chewing gum could help my sensory-sensitive son. He has a strong need to chew on things and can be a bit hard to handle without that input. I hate to give him gum because its plastic. He’s also just shy of 3 so he’s swallowing it, ugh!  I am giving him Glee so I feel like its a lesser evil…but…any ideas for something he could chew on that isn’t plastic (or loaded with sugar)? (he does have some rubber and silicone chewies, which have their own issues, I know) but I’m looking for more options as he varies by day on what he’ll chew on.

Thank you!

397 Posts
(Offline)
April 11, 2013 - 7:11 pm

Hi. It’s my understanding that Spry gum is not made from plastic. However, it does come in plastic packaging. One of my readers recently contacted Glee and found out they are working on a plastic-free version. Perhaps you could write to them and see how they are coming on that front. :-)

Christina
April 12, 2013 - 4:17 am

I highly recommend Peppersmith Chewing Gum – they use 100% natural and biodegradable ingredients.

I don’t know if they sell in the US yet but they do in all the natural food shops here, including Whole Foods – so hassle your WF or find a friend who travels a lot  Smile

Their gum is made from chicle gum, not plastic, and they use Xylitol as a sweetener, which is made from birch wood and has none of the nasty side effects of artificial sweeteners. Their website is http://www.peppersmith.co.uk  and has lots of info on it including a recommendation by the British Dental Health Foundation. I particularly like that all their packaging is paper/cardboard and they include slips of paper for wrapping the gum in once you’ve finished with it.

P.S. no, I don’t work for them! Laugh

397 Posts
(Offline)
April 12, 2013 - 6:37 pm

I love Peppersmith Gum.  I didn’t suggest it because it’s not available in America, but I did get a chance to review it a while back.  I hope they will expand their reach, or that another company on this side of the Atlantic will take the hint and create their own all natural plastic-free version.

/2012/05/peppersmith-makes-chewing-gum-without-plastic/

sarahfrank
April 14, 2013 - 2:57 pm

Thanks guys. Beth, I will check in with Glee on that. I did get them because of the packaging issue. You really can’t win can you? Plastic in the cardboard packed gum or plastic packing on the non-plastic gum. sigh. what’s a girl to do?  I think I might check out spry a bit more because at least I can attempt to recycle the packaging whereas you can’t do much with the plastic in the gum. (plus not having plastic in my son’s tummy would be a bonus). I’ll post back when I have more info.

jonnie
April 16, 2013 - 8:44 am

Just be aware: Xylitol is highly toxic to dogs….

cheryljoy
April 17, 2013 - 9:29 am

At Whole Foods I just came across the gum XyliChew. The ingredients list says that the gum is from “Original Latex From Sapodilla Tree” and it was in a paperboard little box, like chicklets, you know? but I don’t know if there is plastic inside the package.  At least the gum base isn’t plastic.

397 Posts
(Offline)
May 8, 2013 - 7:39 am

Hi Cheryljoy. I think the XyliChew gum may be packaged in plastic blister packs inside the box, according to this website: http://www.tundratrading.com/t…..ligum.html

Back in January of 2010, I wrote to the company to find out if there is any plastic in the gum base in addition to the natural rubber (because that is the case with Glee Gum.) They never responded and I never followed up. Would you be interested in contacting them again to find out?

All RSSShow Stats