Hankies | Plastic-Free Discussion Board

sp_TopicIcon
Hankies
AliceMartel
September 20, 2011 - 9:06 pm

I was wondering, if I can't find hankies in thrift stores or antique shops, I guess I could make some? http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-…..ndkerchief

The website says that old bandanas and pillow cases can be used…what other fabric could I use?

Too bad I didn't keep my mom's old fabrics – everything was donated to Centraide (it's like Good Will) – well at least it wasn't wasted.

402 Posts
(Offline)
September 21, 2011 - 11:21 am

Alice, check out all the comments in these two posts.  Tons of ideas:

/2011/02/hankybook-cleverly-replaces-disposable-tissues-like-kleenex/

/2010/03/kleenex-neti-pots-twitter-and-facebook/

AliceMartel
September 24, 2011 - 10:20 am

Thanks for the links!  So many posts you don't know where to look!  Hehe.

julsie
September 24, 2011 - 4:27 pm

You could go to any fabric store and feel the inventory until you find something that would be soft and smooth against your face.  Yardage is packaging-free!

electrofriend2000
February 17, 2012 - 11:46 am

I just read this old post about hankies. I was able to buy a few from a thrift store along with a couple of new ones. All of them leaked onto my hand during a really bad cold. I recommend a thicker organic cotton material. Then I bought a hankie from a website that sells material feminine products that absorbs really well. I think that it would be much cheaper to buy the material off the bolt at a material store.

S.Assilem
February 28, 2012 - 10:11 pm

I cut up old t-shirts – they're soft and they don't unravel in the wash, so you don't need to hem them [Image Can Not Be Found].  I just double 'em up if I'm really snotty.

Clear Marie
June 29, 2012 - 8:11 pm

We use (cut up) old bed sheets & cloth diapers – don’t worry, they’re thoroughly cleaned! Smile

jeannemara
July 11, 2012 - 4:57 am

Marie, are your cloth diapers the “old fashioned” kind? A square of material that gets pinned? If so, where did you find them? I have been searching for that type and cannot find them anywhere.

402 Posts
(Offline)
July 11, 2012 - 11:10 am

Hi Jeannemara.  Do you mean flat diapers?  Here’s a link to some info and options:

But I’ll bet you could find them secondhand.  Try the “Prefolds & Flats” forum on Diaper Swappers:

Or you could try requesting them locally through Craigslist or Freecycle.

(I owe any diaper knowledge I have to Calley Pate from The Eco Chic blog because she filled me in on all of this when I was writing my book.  There are more cloth diaper resources listed in the book, by the way.)

Clear Marie
July 13, 2012 - 2:25 pm

Yes regular pinned nappies/diapers .. My oldest child is 21, so half were bought then, and the rest when I had my now 11yr old :P

I’m in New Zealand so my sources probably won’t help you but hopefully Beth’s do .. If not, I’d suggest picking up a 2nd hand bed-sheet, or flannelette shirts work well too (anything soft & absorbent), giving them a good hot wash to kill bacteria, then chop it up and you’ll have more hankies than you could ever need ..

All RSSShow Stats