How to cover a cut watermelon | Plastic-Free Discussion Board

sp_TopicIcon
How to cover a cut watermelon
Shelah
July 12, 2012 - 12:27 pm

I have a half of a huge watermelon that I wish to keep in the refrigerator for a couple of days without it absorbing any off flavors from other foods. Can you suggest anything to place over the cut side?

I had read about that treated cloth but one of the ingredients is beeswax and I am vegan.

Do you think If You Care brand waxed paper would be sufficient?

Thanks :)

397 Posts
(Offline)
July 12, 2012 - 3:00 pm

I don’t know if wax paper would give you the seal you want.  Does it have to stay intact? Can you cut it up and put the pieces in airtight container(s)?

MTNgirl
July 12, 2012 - 4:30 pm

Put the cut side facing down on a large plate.  We haven’t noticed it picking up fridge odors.  We do the same thing with onions, egg plant, etc as well.

Shelah
July 13, 2012 - 8:51 am

Thank you, Beth and MTNgirl.

Beth, we do prefer to keep it intact to retain the juices, texture and flavor.Speaking of waxed paper, I notice that you don’t talk about it in your book. Other than it being disposable, is there any reason why it is not a desirable or useful product, health- or ecology-wise (of course I’m referring to the vegan, natural one put out by If You Care)?

MTNgirl, I thought of putting it cut side down, but wondered if the juices would run out. Have you noticed anything regarding this aspect?

Giving it a go
July 13, 2012 - 1:32 pm

Do you have a big enough bowl?  You could put it in whole with a lid or plate on the top.  Or use a big saucepan & hope you don´t need it for a couple of days!

Shelah
July 13, 2012 - 1:42 pm

Thanks, Giving it a go, for your suggestion. I’ll have to see if I have such a big pot. I think I gave it to a friend years ago after my children moved away. I never missed it until now :)

I like your member name — I am also giving this a go!

All RSSShow Stats