Meat Containers | Plastic-Free Discussion Board

sp_TopicIcon
Meat Containers
saraludin
November 17, 2012 - 10:34 pm

My husband and I do not like using plastic bags to wrap meat that we buy from the butcher.  The alternative options on Life Without Plastic are pretty expensive.  So my husband and I bought cookie tins from a second hand shop today to use for transporting, and freezing meat that we buy.

Is this a good idea?  We’re not sure whether these “tins” have plastic coating, so we’re not sure if this is any safer or healthier.  We’re considering lining each with some (FSC-certified) parchment paper to keep the meat from direct contact with the tin.

Any other ideas for transporting and freezing meat?

401 Posts
(Offline)
November 17, 2012 - 11:38 pm

Hi.  Not sure the tins are a good idea.  I have found that they rust since they are not made of stainless steel.  Also, it’s possible some are coated to keep them from corroding.  Cookie tins are great for dry things, but I’m not so sure about them for wet things.

S.Assilem
November 18, 2012 - 6:53 pm

I use the Life without plastic containers and although they cost a bit I use them so often it was worth it. They’ll last forever, I use them on the stove and they’re airtight – so I can put soup in them and toss it in my bag.

Ann
November 18, 2012 - 9:00 pm

We don’t eat meat, so I’m possibly not entitled to suggest anything, but we do eat fish.  I ask the fish department staff to put fish either into stainless steel tiffin tins (with lid) or into a glass jar with glass clickdown lid (heavier, but sturdy and leakfree).  They tare-weigh the containers before they fill them, then I pay for the difference on the before-and-after weights.  This suits me well, and the fish department is now happy to do it, too.

saraludin
November 21, 2012 - 8:59 am

Thanks for your feedback!  All of that makes sense.  I think we probably will invest in the Life Without Plastic Containers.

electrofriend
June 21, 2013 - 6:05 am

I would use old glass Pyrex containers. Even the lids are glass. Just be very careful transporting. I would use giant rubber bands to keep them closed. Or maybe bungee cords that you could get second hand. Also what about butcher’s paper?

I went to the butcher at my local store about using something other than Styrofoam trays for me. He asked what was wrong with them. I tried to be extremely nice. He said he could work something out.

melody
June 22, 2013 - 2:18 pm

I use Glass Lock containers we got from Bed Bath and Beyond.  The lids are plastic, but seal really well so I know I’m not dripping meat juices onto other groceries.  Also the food is usually touching just the glass.

amy
June 30, 2015 - 6:31 am

I’m just getting interested in this lifestyle, but my initial thought on this topic is to use mason jars and a vacuum seal attachment for my foodsaver to put a vacuum on the jar. leave an inch of space in the jar for expansion so the glass won’t break … and store them sideways. You can use dividers, like book ends in the freezer to keep them stacked in groups. Can anyone think of a reason this wont work? I realize the vacuum sealer is plastic, but since it won’t touch the food, and it will be reused over and over I thought It would be a great idea. I also got my food saver re-used, so Even that is recycled. I’m not sure I’ll be able to find the attachment second hand though.

All RSSShow Stats