Microwave Splatter Cover | Plastic-Free Discussion Board

sp_TopicIcon
Microwave Splatter Cover
BS
December 1, 2011 - 12:05 pm

I want to buy a microwave glass plate cover (example), but all I find are plastic ones.  Has anyone found one or know of a better solution?

Options so far:

• Buy a large glass pie plate, but I believe it needs a vent hole.
  • Use paper towels, but I've stopped using them and switched to rags.
  • Microwave splatter screen, which I believe is a mesh like screen with plastic weights and is washable.
  • Or take the time and clean splattered lasagna off the walls inside my microwave[Image Can Not Be Found]
402 Posts
(Offline)
December 1, 2011 - 12:16 pm

Hi. I don’t think you need a vent hole. We put saucers on top of bowls and plates in the microwave all the time. We also use covered glass casserole dishes. I think it’s fine because the glass lid is not airtight.

julsie
December 3, 2011 - 3:34 pm

I usually take a same-sized plate or bowl and invert it on top.  Works fine.  I'd say work with what you have.

jeannemara
July 9, 2012 - 11:46 am

I do the same. I put a saucer on top. Also cover bowls in the fridge with plates and saucers. This is nothing new, really. My mother (born in the twenties) rarely used plastic wrap. With eight children, who could afford plastic wrap? I try to remember that plastic is very rarely necessary in everyday life.

teddy bear
August 13, 2013 - 12:20 pm

Hello BS, check http://www.FreshFinds.com. They have a glass microwave plate cover for $24.95, item #F8199. I hope this helps. TBSmile

Catherine
January 25, 2014 - 9:13 am

Here is one solution. I did find some folks at FreshFinds site commenting that their microwave sensed moisture so the holes found on the plastic lids allowed their machines to use advanced functions. So if you use machine for more functionality than High to heat food, that may be a consideration.

I had been using a smallish rectangle glass cutting board to just lay across the top of our bowls and mugs, using pyrex bakeware w/their own lids. I think if one could find a deep enough pie clear glass plate the cafemom solution might work.

I did like the silicon handle, though and I have no idea about how much the glass to glass epoxy costs.

Best Wishes!

Kayvee
March 8, 2016 - 3:42 pm

I was looking to replace my plastic microwave cover. I did a search and found these

These covers are made of glass with a silicone handle on top.

And this is the “tall” version

All RSSShow Stats