Milk in glass | Plastic-Free Discussion Board

sp_TopicIcon
Milk in glass
lisa
November 12, 2011 - 8:45 pm

So I have been buying milk in glass jars to avoid the plastic containers.  However there is no labelling except the cap colors.  I usually buy the blue capped bottles.  However recently a red and green capped have appeared on the shelves.  I have no idea what those two are… I think the red cap is whole milk but the green capped milk seems to be more yellow in color.  The company is Ronnybrook dairy, the milk that is commonly sold at whole foods.  Any ideas on what they are?

Lisa

397 Posts
(Offline)
November 13, 2011 - 6:56 am

Strange that there is no label printed on the glass itself. I have no idea. Here’s the company’s web site, and I can’t even tell from that. I guess you’ll have to contact them.

julsie
November 13, 2011 - 10:16 am

Is there fine print on the caps themselves?  That's how they're labeled around here.  Labeling the bottles would make it more difficult to re-use them, since you'd have to either clean off sticky labels or sort the skim milk containers from the whole milk containers.  I'd ask a store employee if you can't crack the code, but generally red is whole milk, blue is 2%, green is skim, yellow is buttermilk.  Our east coast brand is Trickling Springs.

397 Posts
(Offline)
November 13, 2011 - 12:55 pm

Out here, Straus milk containers have a detachable paper collar that tells you what kind of milk it is.

See photo: https://myplasticfreelife.com/images/Full_Size_Images/Straus001.jpg

kanishka
November 29, 2011 - 2:46 pm

this week, i was picking up milk from my dairy and their glass bottles have switched to metal lids instead of plastic…(through probably aluminum)

397 Posts
(Offline)
November 29, 2011 - 4:38 pm
kanishka
November 30, 2011 - 9:45 pm

local farm, new hampshire. i'll email when i buy it to name the brand of the lid if your local farm wants to get it too

397 Posts
(Offline)
November 30, 2011 - 10:34 pm

I would love to know where they are getting the lids. Please let me know the brand of the milk, and I can call the dairy and ask about the lid.

kanishka
December 5, 2011 - 9:20 am

you can call or email them. brookford farm. don't worry, i go there every week, so i'll find out soon, as long as i can remember to ask when i'm there.

while are visiting brookford farm's site, read a little about them, they are fascinating (they are very much like the greenhorn people). i actually got to witness some huge drama surrounding them and farm relocation this past weekend. luckily they won, but the twist of the story is that stonyfield's ceo had to front them the cash, out of his personal money, not stonyfield's money. so now my local, awesome, independent farm, is 3 degrees of separation from dannon yogurt. but the connections are very weak, and there is no chance for influence unless situations get very dire.

397 Posts
(Offline)
December 5, 2011 - 1:47 pm

Hey Kanishka, I went online and looked for photos of Brookford Farm milk.  Does it come in mason jars like this?

If that's the case, the lid wouldn't work for our dairy out here because their bottles look like this.

kanishka
December 5, 2011 - 3:20 pm

correct mason jars. sorry it won't work for you guys ):

All RSSShow Stats