No Stick Stainless Steel | Plastic-Free Discussion Board

sp_TopicIcon
No Stick Stainless Steel
397 Posts
(Offline)
August 16, 2011 - 6:18 pm

You don't need non-stick pans coated with plastic to fry an egg.  It's just a matter of heating the oil or butter hot enough before putting the egg in the pan.  Heat up the pan.  Pour oil into warm pan.  Wait for oil to heat up. Then crack egg (or other food) into pan.  Egg will not stick.  Really.  I'll post a Youtube video if you don't believe me.

oli1234bear
August 16, 2011 - 9:27 pm

I tried regular pans before and food was still sticking. Will give it another shot once my current frying pans “expire”.

My grandma and mom had one frying pan for as long as I can remember and it did not stick, and it was just a regular metal frying pan. The handle did not break off, food did not stick or burn – you bought one once and for life. I, on the other hand, yet to find a frying pan that last me more then two years…

397 Posts
(Offline)
August 16, 2011 - 9:30 pm

Did you let the oil get very hot before adding food?  My eggs always stuck until I learned that trick.

Green Jeanne
August 22, 2011 - 9:45 am

Beth is right, the trick to using stainless steel is the pan needs to be hot. I use a cast iron skillet to cook eggs, they never stick.

chantalwithoutplastic
November 7, 2011 - 3:24 pm

We sell a pretty good stick-free pan by the company WMF. It is coated with ceramic. We like it a lot, but we do need to let it heat up before its full non-stick action can be observed. We have a 28-cm (11″) and 24-cm (9.5″).

Chantal Plamondon, Co-Owner, LifeWithoutPlastic.com

MTNgirl
December 3, 2011 - 11:32 am

I have been reading about veganism-the book Forks Over Knives-and they suggest using water in the pan instead of oil.  I have not tried it.  But when my daughter makes omelets or scrambled eggs, she does not use oil in the pan-just rice milk and egg and they turn out light and fluffy with no egg stuck to the bottom.  She is 9 and makes better eggs than I do.  I don't know her trick, she says she just does what my husband and I taught her!

397 Posts
(Offline)
December 3, 2011 - 2:23 pm

It's kind of a hybrid fry/poach method.  I put some water in the pan sometimes after the eggs have set up, but I do use oil.  Maybe I'll try with just water and no oil and see what happens.  Thanks for the suggestion.

All RSSShow Stats