Personal Care Products Sans Plastic | Plastic-Free Discussion Board

Personal Care Products Sans Plastic
sharonus
November 6, 2009 - 3:34 am

Hello,

I’m looking for personal care products that do not come in plastic. I’m not willing to use baking soda to wash my hair, but I am considering it for deodorant. :)

I’m specifically looking for shampoo (child and adult), conditioner, and facial moisturizers. I’m also very concerned about toxins (not a surprise, huh?), so I religiously look at cosmeticsdatabase.org to make sure the products I’m considering purchasing have a low hazard score.

Can anyone recommend some safe, plastic-free, products?

Thanks!

Sharon

397 Posts
(Offline)
November 6, 2009 - 4:41 am

Hi. Have you tried shampoo bars? Burts Bees makes a rosemary mint one. J.R. Liggett makes a plain one. Many Etsy sellers make them. Looks like a bar of soap but it’s shampoo.

On the bus on the way to my retreat. Haven’t quite shut off electronics yet.

sharonus
November 6, 2009 - 8:25 pm

Thank you, Beth! I was only aware of LUSH shampoo bars, but their hazard score was too high. The Burt’s Bees Rosemary Mint Shampoo Bar only has a hazard rating of 1. Maybe I’ll even be able to find it at a local retailer!

If anyone else knows of plastic free facial moisturizer that isn’t prohibitively expensive, I’d love to hear. I used to use Clinique which was originally in a glass bottle, but they switched to plastic quite a few years back. :( I’ve stopped using moisturizer all together which was fine in the summer, but isn’t too great in the winter.

Hope you enjoy your retreat!

Sharon

hmusgrove
November 10, 2009 - 11:06 pm

Hi Sharon,

I use Burt’s Bees moisturizer and even though it is more expensive than other brands, it lasts a really long time because you use less. And if you’re using it mainly in the winter, then that’s all the better because you won’t be buying it that often. I too look for alternative brands. I am looking for witchhazel in a glass bottle right now. I use it to clean my face at night and have only found it in plastic.

Great reading your posts. Good luck on your searches for plastic-free alternatives!

Holly

ejwm
November 12, 2009 - 11:51 pm

Hi guys,

I’ve seen a few recipes online that are either glycerin based or oil based, one that looks interesting (haven’t tried it yet) is here: http://healthmad.com/alternati…..isturizer/ but I’ve seen heard of people just using olive oil in a mister. Maybe a plus is the glycerin can come as a byproduct of biodiesel production? Or that’s a downside, depending on your take. I’m contemplating an olive oil spritz – it’s already in my kitchen – but I don’t want to be greasy. I’m thinking I need to change my face cleanser and I might not need any moisturizer. Anybody have a good face wash that doesn’t dry out skin?

Thanks,

EJ

beany
December 24, 2009 - 6:36 am

I have purchase body lotions from prairie land herbs [http://www.prairielandherbs.com/lotions.htm]. It is a mother/daughter team (last I checked) and they work with me.

Melissa B
December 30, 2011 - 11:18 am

Regular soap bars sometimes work as a shampoo. Badger balms are great for hands & lips. I use badger body oil for my face and it’s great & not oily. I’ve used olive oil in the past and you don’t need a spritzer, just pour a tiny bit in your hand and rub in. Not greasy at all. Jojoba and coconut oil also work great.

jeannemara
July 9, 2012 - 11:37 am

I actually do use baking soda to wash my hair and it does work! Better yet is using apple cider vinegar and water as a conditioner. It is marvelous. And, no, it doesn’t make your hair smell bad. Once vinegar evaporates there is no smell.

silver
February 18, 2015 - 3:47 pm

There are scads of DIY shampoo recipes posted on the net. Wellnessmama.com and the Davidsuzuki.org and many other sites have recipes for home care products you make yourself. I posted a recipe and ideas under a recent shampoo quest, along with some tips. Forgive me if none are helpful, but I try.

Recently I learned how to whip coconut oil to use as makeup remover, moisturizer, body and hand lotion. Just straight up coconut oil. Olive oil is good as someone else posted. I have used both and like the coconut oil as it absorbs better without being greasy and is suppose to be good for acne. Wellnessmama.com has great recipes for everything your looking for.

Kirk’s castile soap bar has been used in the USA and Dr. Bonner’s is available throughout North America.

Here is a tip I used for hand soap and is really cheap! Good old Ivory soap bar. Cost where I buy (Walmart) is about $3.97 for a pack of 10 bars.

In blender pour a cup of boiled or really hot water. Cut 1 bar of Ivory into the blender. On low/medium blend for 30 to 40 seconds. Fill to the 6 cup line with water and blend another 30 to 40 seconds. Pour into liter containers and leave to set for 24 hours. Water may separate a little, just give it a good shake to re-blend or to loosen the gel affect, pour into your bathroom pump bottle and there you go! We added a few drops of peppermint oil for scent, use without scent as well.

One bar will make 2.5 liters of hand soap for sure. Approx .06 cents per 500 ml of hand soap.

All RSSShow Stats