Pillows? | Plastic-Free Discussion Board

sp_TopicIcon
Pillows?
julsie
January 17, 2012 - 9:05 pm

I'm in dire need of a new pillow to sleep on.  But I don't think I've ever seen one that didn't come swathed in plastic.  Any ideas?  I'm not completely opposed to animal fibers.

MTNgirl
January 21, 2012 - 10:55 am

Look up organic pillows online, you can get natural latex, wool , kapok, buckwheat, and down pillows.  I purchased a wool pillow made locally, but I ordered 2 others online.  But both of them were made by the company I purchased them from in Seattle (just 8 hours away from us).  There may be companies near you and you can probably request no plastic when you order.

julsie
January 21, 2012 - 7:41 pm

I didn't even think to look into local manufacturers!  Thanks for the idea!  I did a search and came up with CozyPure in Norfolk and SavvyRest out of Charlottesville, VA.  Neither is quite local, but I'll have a chance to stop in next time I travel.  Good call!

Eve Stavros
January 23, 2012 - 4:31 am

Ha! Just yesterday I was looking in my new/old home of Charlottesville to find some plastic-free household items, and I discovered we have two shops where you can find kapok, wool, latex pillows.  Both have good web sites, and both are about 20 min. from my house!

Atlantic Organic Natural Bedding

Blue Ridge Eco Shop

julsie
January 27, 2012 - 10:38 am

Thanks so much!  Charlottesville is on the way to my nearest relatives, so I can definitely plan a stop on my next trip.

S.Assilem
February 6, 2012 - 4:38 pm

How about plastic free pillow covers? Not pillow case but something to zip on and keep them cleaner longer. Ikea had some, but they all contained polyester. A no synthetic mattress pad would be good too.

397 Posts
(Offline)
February 7, 2012 - 8:27 pm

Here's a 100% organic cotton zippered pillow cover:

I don't know how it's packaged, so you would have to contact the company to ask and request no plastic packaging.

All RSSShow Stats