Plastic Bag Alternatives for Bulk Department | Plastic-Free Discussion Board

sp_TopicIcon
Plastic Bag Alternatives for Bulk Department
RSS
LisaGee
January 5, 2015 - 10:07 pm

Do you know of an alternative to plastic bags for a bulk department to package it’s items in?  My favorite natural food store offers paper, plastic, compostable corn-based plastic tubs and encourages people to bring in their own containers but they are looking for something that is similar to plastic bags (i.e., clear and can be secured with a twist tie) but isn’t plastic.

419 Posts
(Offline)
January 5, 2015 - 11:49 pm

Our local coop, Rainbow Grocery, uses BioBags. Here is what they say about them:

Unfortunately, they are not clear. I don’t know that a clear, compostable, GMO-free produce bag exists yet. But according to Rainbow, BioBag is working on it.

If you check this link, you’ll find BioBags that are somewhat clear.

LisaGee
January 6, 2015 - 3:59 pm

Thank you Beth!!  We will definitely look into them.  Laugh

In Denver
January 18, 2015 - 6:40 am

Hats off to Savory Spice Shop in the Lowry Area of Denver.  Their managers Sam and Joe have been very respectful and responsive to my request for a paper option to the little spice plastic spice refill bags.

Lowry Town Center On Second Avenue just East of Quebec.

200 Quebec St.
Bldg. 600, Unit 101
Denver, Colorado 80230

P: (303) 364-2188
F: (303) 364-2207
E: lowry@savoryspiceshop.com

Carolyn

Mary Marland
April 17, 2018 - 5:00 pm

I recognize this thread is very old but i’ve been working on an alternative to package my products for an apparel line I am launching. I am using recyclable mailers for the delivery but i still need something to wrap the actual products in. I’ve explored wax paper, biodegradable bags that can be reused for pet waste or disposable diapers and even beeswax paper but all options have drawbacks. Interested if this forum has ideas

Kris
June 26, 2018 - 10:08 am

These organic cotton bulk bags come in three sizes:

Hope this helped!

Sarah
April 22, 2019 - 10:36 am

I’ve started keeping paper lunch bags with me for my bulk items.

All RSS Show Stats