Plastic free ice packs | Plastic-Free Discussion Board

sp_TopicIcon
Plastic free ice packs
Tbeach
March 28, 2012 - 11:41 am

SurprisedTrying to find plastic free icepacks for my kids lunches, cant seem to find them anywhere.

help appreciated

Clear Marie
June 29, 2012 - 7:47 pm

I’ve not seen any plastic free icepacks either, but what about using something like a frozen orange?

I’m sure you could get a few days, if not a whole weeks use out of one (freezing each night) – that is if they didn’t eat it because frozen oranges are delicious!  My kids used to have them for after school treats when we lived in Australia Cool

Eve Stavros
July 8, 2012 - 4:36 am

This is an example of how finding some at a thrift store might solve the problem – you’d be taking an existing plastic item and reusing it, not buying any new plastic, and as long as the plastic isn’t coming in direct contact with their food…You could even jazz it up by sewing a cute cloth cozy if they’re not in the most pristine condition even after thorough washing.

MTNgirl
July 10, 2012 - 8:30 pm

I have been using a stainless steel water bottle instead of a plastic water bottle to freeze ice in for my lunch for months and it works great!

Clear Marie
July 13, 2012 - 2:30 pm

That’s a great suggestion MTNgirl!  My kiddo doesn’t need an ice-pack for school, but I have a small steel bottle that never gets used anymore so I’ll remember this trick next time we go camping :D

397 Posts
(Offline)
July 14, 2012 - 2:23 pm

One thing about using a stainless steel water bottle as an ice pack: make sure you don’t fill it up all the way. Leave some room for expansion. Also, be aware that the bottle may bulge, so that the bottom is no longer flat and may not stand up properly anymore. Don’t use a bottle that you care about standing up by itself without falling over.

irecyclestuff
November 5, 2012 - 1:58 pm

I found some stainless steel icepacks for my kids lunches…………..they are available through the

So exciting!!Laugh

crazyliblady
November 14, 2012 - 12:52 pm

I saw an ice pack alternative at planetbox.  I am not sure what material it is made out of, though.

397 Posts
(Offline)
November 14, 2012 - 10:29 pm

Hi.  I checked it out.  It does look like the material is some sort of plastic.  Check out the enlarged photo:

All RSSShow Stats