Plastic in the bathroom... | Plastic-Free Discussion Board

sp_TopicIcon
Plastic in the bathroom...
ecofriend39
May 15, 2012 - 10:51 pm

Any suggestions for shampoos etc in non-plastic packaging?

Patti
May 16, 2012 - 3:57 am

I just purchased a shampoo bar from etsy. There are several different vendors and the one I purchase got very good reviews. I have not received it, so I can’t comment on how it works. The vendor offered a cost savings with shipping if you ordered a certain number of bars.

402 Posts
(Offline)
May 20, 2012 - 11:02 am

There are some great shampoo bar options. Definitely check Etsy. I’m going to be trying out and reviewing a shampoo/conditioner bar from Chagrin Valley. There is also the “No Poo” method that I use. My book is full of solutions to all of these questions! https://myplasticfreelife.com/book/

Marine girl
August 5, 2012 - 4:52 pm

I’m doing bar shampoos now, which I really love, but am going to try the no poo method. However, my hair gets really tangly, even when I don’t wash it. Extreme bed-head! What do you recommend for conditioners?? Beth, I saw that you were using your home made lotion – are you still doing that?

402 Posts
(Offline)
August 8, 2012 - 12:09 pm

Hi Marine Girl. How much apple cider vinegar are you using and in what proportion to water? In my experience, it’s the ACV that is a great detangler. I’m not still using my homemade lotion on my hair. Have you tried a coconut oil or olive oil treatment to condition your hair? It’s an occasional thing… not for all the time I think.

martha
August 9, 2012 - 7:54 am

I love coconut oil. I use it after every shampoo, especially on the ends of my hair.   Coconut oil is also great to moisturize your face at bedtime.

Megan
January 2, 2013 - 1:55 pm

I finally found a shampoo bar that I liked but was recently bummed to find out that it contains sodium coco sulfate.  From the small amount of research I have done it seems as though it is similar to SLS although there are conflicting articles.  Does anyone have an idea if these are similar?   I’ve noticed some of the shampoo bars on Esty have these products.  I was trying to knock out two birds with one stone, less plastic and less chemicals.  There are several more ‘natural’ shampoo bars on Etsy.  Guess I will have to keep trying until I find another one that works or until I build up enough courage to try going poo free.

402 Posts
(Offline)
January 2, 2013 - 2:29 pm

Hi. Have you tried Chagrin Valley? Or Aquarian Bath? Also, just let me be a cheerleader for No Poo. I’ve been doing it for several years and love it. Here’s my method: /2008/06/no-more-poo/

Megan
January 4, 2013 - 12:59 pm

Its funny because I use to live near Chargin Valley and never heard of it until I started reading your blog.  I’ll have to check it out.  I’ve been leaning towards the No Poo thing.  I was wondering though, do you rinse your hair at all during the week with just water?

402 Posts
(Offline)
January 5, 2013 - 3:49 pm

I don’t have a hard and fast rule… I do whatever my hair seems to need.  Sometimes, I just put it in a ponytail when I’m in the shower and try not to get it wet.  Other times, if I’ve slept on it weird, I might just wet it a bit in the shower.  I can tell when it needs washing again.  And sometimes it seems to need more vinegar… if it’s getting dry or frizzy.

All RSSShow Stats