Q tips? | Plastic-Free Discussion Board

sp_TopicIcon
Q tips?
Lisa
October 11, 2011 - 12:43 pm

I am currently running out of my q-tips and want to find them in non-plastic packaging.  Seems like i am out of luck! I have looked around everywhere.  Does anyone have any ideas or even what company to order online?

402 Posts
(Offline)
October 11, 2011 - 9:43 pm

So far I haven't found any without plastic. Even the organic ones come with in a cardboard box wrapped in plastic. You could try switching to a Japanese ear pick.

They come wrapped in plastic, but you only have to buy it once.

402 Posts
(Offline)
October 11, 2011 - 9:43 pm

Oh, assuming you wanted to use them to clean your ears. I sometimes forget there are many other uses for Q tips.

Eve Stavros
October 13, 2011 - 7:43 am

You could try this neat trick I saw a manicurist do once and which I've adapted – make your own! Take an orange stick (or the “back end” of a fine wooden artist's brush, which I use for eye shadow, so it's in my makeup drawer) and wrap/swirl it with a piece of a cotton ball.  When finished, throw away the cotton part and re-use the stick. Cotton is available plastic free at the drugstore, and the orange stick/artist's brush at any crafts store.

julsie
October 23, 2011 - 10:58 am

I just stumbled across these and thought of this thread:

I haven't actually ordered from this company, but it says they're packed in recycled cardboard.

402 Posts
(Offline)
October 23, 2011 - 1:01 pm

Julsie, that's potentially exciting.  I just emailed Valerie from Greenfeet to see if the box contains any plastic.  The organic Swisspers swabs come in a cardboard box, but it is shrink-wrapped in plastic.

402 Posts
(Offline)
October 24, 2011 - 1:59 am

Sadly, Valerie says they come shrink-wrapped in plastic.  :-(  Oh well.

julsie
October 24, 2011 - 7:05 am
Melissa B
January 3, 2012 - 9:51 pm

Totally check out the ear pick! J-list sells them. http://www.jlist.com/search/al…..ar_cleaner
I think they work better than Qtips because you scrape out gunk. Just be careful. Oh, they work best fresh out of the shower – I think ear gunk is softer then.

julsie
January 4, 2012 - 8:04 am

Cool!  I'll have to see if I can talk the hubby into giving up his Q-tip habit.

alotis2words
January 20, 2014 - 6:40 pm

I just found these online. I haven’t bought them but likely will sooner or later

402 Posts
(Offline)
January 21, 2014 - 7:08 am

Cool. But I wonder if the box is wrapped in plastic. That’s one reason I don’t buy swabs anymore. I can find ones with cardboard sticks, but the box is shrink wrapped.

sunnyside
February 11, 2015 - 10:27 pm

I am about to buy and try these:

They are biodegradable and compostable. Personally I just use a bit of cloth most of the time but my daughter is dead keen on ‘cotton buds’ so I’m looking forward to trying these. They are expensive compared to the regular plastic ones but it’s such a wasteful product – all those sticks getting thrown away! – so I think it’s worth it.

sunnyside
September 9, 2015 - 11:44 pm

Just wanted to give an update on the bamboo cotton buds. They are excellent – definitely a workable product. The cotton part is not as thick as ‘some’ plastic sticked cotton buds I’ve used, then again it’s thicker than some. But to repeat – completely workable.

Due to the cost of them I’m still keeping pretty tight rules about how many and how often the kids can use them. But lets face it, overusing anything, even an environmentally friendly product, is wasteful.

I can’t buy them locally so when I was placing an order online I bought extra at the same time.

All RSSShow Stats