Spray Bottles | Page 2 | Plastic-Free Discussion Board

sp_TopicIcon
Spray Bottles
RSS
K Smith
July 19, 2015 - 12:31 pm

I don’t think this is the most affordable option, but there is a non-plastic spray bottle.  They are Japanese Dahlia Sprayers.  They work on a pump system (pump down a handle and then you get a continues spray).  They are things of beauty, that come with a price–around $110-300.  I tend to use the old vinegar bottle with plastic sprayer.  But I thought everyone should know about this option.

Dylan
December 31, 2015 - 2:52 am

Beth Terry said
I have to agree with Sam.  I don’t think I would go out and buy a new bottle to store cleaning fluid.  The only reason I use a glass bottle is that the vinegar comes in glass anyway, so I end up having them in the house.  And yes, aluminum is always lined with plastic.

Do you buy a new glass bottle of vinegar when you run out or do you keep  the large gallon sized containers of vinegar around?  I’m using so much more vinegar than I used to since doing this zero waste/no plastic thing that I ended up buying one of the gallon containers for refilling. And since I uncluttered my kitchen, I’ve got cabinet space to store it.  I don’t know if Oakland recycles these things, but I’ll throw it in the gray bin when I’m done with it.

421 Posts
(Offline)
January 10, 2016 - 4:21 pm

I buy it in a glass bottle. I’m thinking about learning how to make it this year so I don’t even have that bit of recycling waste! If I do, I’ll blog about it here.

Bob
August 31, 2016 - 10:12 pm

Coolrunner Small Glass Potted Spray Bottle Pot Copper Watering Pot Retro Gardening Tool Succulents https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FVWCWY8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_DE7XxbVMCZKKF

Kristen
December 20, 2017 - 12:55 pm

Hi, how about plant misters? There’s one on Amazon that is plastic-free (per the Questions section) called Sustainable Village plant mister in nickel and brass (not sure yet if the brass is lead-free or not). I don’t know how well it will or won’t work with essential oils; someone else mentioned that essential oils can gum up spray bottles that have a finer misting mechanism. But I’m going to try this one.

Nope
August 27, 2018 - 8:39 pm

Sustainable Village Brass & Nickel Mister Bundle: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075SKPT15/

421 Posts
(Offline)
August 28, 2018 - 8:23 am

That’s an interesting mister.  I just wonder if there could be lead content mixed with the brass and nickel.  I know that brass fittings can contain lead.  And I’ve seen most of the brass gardening sprayers sold in hardware stores in California have Prop 65 warnings on them because of lead content.  I noticed that someone asked that question on the Amazon page for the mister, but no one answered.

Circle Q
April 10, 2019 - 12:23 pm

smallLife said
Hello all,

My main objective in “going green” is to reduce (synthetic) chemical exposure and as such I am switching to a baking soda/vinegar cleaning routine for the most part. Thus far I have been unable to find a non-plastic spray bottle and the only non-filled plastic bottles are not worth buying (dollar/travel section with horrible spray mechanisms). Has anyone found spray bottles made of glass (with perhaps a plastic top) or know of sturdy-but-plastic spray bottles?

Thanks!

What a cool group!  Who knew there were folks out there with the same goals in mind…

Anyway, I found a spray bottle that I THINK is plastic free…

Just google “Purism Mister”, then click “Images”.

The only issue I can think of is that these may not be “food grade” since I think they’re intended to be used on things like house plants.

Anyone know how to tell if something is “food grade” and safe to use with food?

Thanks!

J
May 22, 2019 - 4:30 am

I’m about to try using glass and metal atomiser as I can’t reuse spray bottles for some of my delicate house plants (orchids and carnivorous). I’ve found none plastic ones for about £6/7 on amazon.

I also find plastic spray heads break quite a lot and don’t last years unfortunately.

All RSS Show Stats