Tagging Barbs | Plastic-Free Discussion Board

sp_TopicIcon
Tagging Barbs
RSS
go with the flo
January 15, 2015 - 1:06 pm

Has anyone researched alternatives to those miserable plastic “tagging barbs”–those plastic thing-eys that attach price tags to most everything in clothing, toys, pet items, etc.?? A keyword search on Google only elicited where to buy the barbs and a tagging “gun”–or how to remove them successfully, especially from clothing.

421 Posts
(Offline)
March 23, 2015 - 10:29 am

Some clothing companies use metal safety pins and string to attach tags to clothing.

silver
April 2, 2015 - 5:06 pm

Howdy! Tried to add reply without logging in and wow! Good watch on not allowing my Silver name to be used by someone else, chuckle. Here goes again.

Are you trying to tag a line of product yourself, or looking to buy somewhere without use of plastics in the tag?

Some stores post pricing on the rack and hang clothing on the rack without a tag. Used clothing stores will do this. Time to google and find a good quality line of clothing. There may be some used clothing stores carrying a line of clothing that make clothing new off the rack, look pale in comparison. Anyway, I have bought clothing used, that really was expensive and excellent quality when new, that I could never afford to buy new. Someone wore the article once or twice and like new, it was donated to a used clothing store.

How many find the used clothing stores fun? It is amazing what you can find. Another reason to buy at a used clothing store? New ideas. You are looking at the different tastes that you may never have thought of yourself and it makes you think outside of the box. Keeps stuff out of the landfill, and reduces the plastics involved with shipping to stores, due to supply and demand.

AmandaCherChat
February 4, 2019 - 10:08 am

Hello

I’m a historical clothes maker (independant just me, not a big chain. I also  a passionate anti plastic and pollution warrior. I need to find a way of ‘tagging’ my clothes but don’t and won’t use plastic. Currently I’m using ribbon and safety pins. However people like to unpin them and steal the pins or repin onto cheaper items. Does anyone know if it is possible to buy non plastic tags? I’ve looked everywhere and can’t find them. I’m thinking that I will have to try and sew tags into my items. I’d be really interested if any of you know an alternative.

Natalia Voegele
March 21, 2019 - 8:01 pm

Hi,

What about paper price tags, which are stuck on with adhesive? I was employed at a grocery store once. One of my duties was to price items. I would walk down the isle, using a pricing gun and shooting little tiny square tags onto items. My boss had to adjust the prices for me to go to the next isle, but it was fun. It wouldn’t be paper-free, but at least this would be plastic-free. I have never understood why more stores do not use those.

I hope this helps,

Natalia

Cat
August 22, 2019 - 2:56 pm

Hi, I’ve just started working in an outdoor clothing kit retail shop, it’s an amazing job I love it, but I have to attach the prices &etc with the plastic tags. As an enviro-minded person it’s just awful.  So I’ve taken it on myself to look into options to report back to managers.

Can anyone suggest manufacturers that make enviro friendly tags, that are quick and easy to attach?

And also the same question for sturdy yet enviro carrier bags?

Thank you, I look forward to hearing from you all.

Russell