Toddler cups | Plastic-Free Discussion Board

sp_TopicIcon
Toddler cups
julsie
August 24, 2011 - 2:25 pm

My toddler uses straw sippy cups — plastic cups with a two-part straw with a spillproof valve.  I'd really like to replace them with a non-plastic, or at least less-plastic option as they start to wear out and we lose pieces.  Does anybody know of any kid-sized containers with built-in straws?  Spillproof is nice, but it has to be a straw, not a sport top or anything else.

401 Posts
(Offline)
August 24, 2011 - 7:47 pm

I'm not sure it exists.  We had a discussion about sippy cups a while back. Check the comments on this post:

/2010/04/no-more-plastic-food-containers-please/

Heather Hoffman
September 3, 2011 - 12:42 pm

You might check out stainlesscups.com  I am ordering some stainless baby bottles and tumblers from them.  They have some different spout options.  One is called a sport top, but looks like a flip up straw and they do have silicone sippy tops.  May not be what you want… but worth a look!

401 Posts
(Offline)
September 3, 2011 - 3:54 pm

I just got an email from the glass baby bottle company.  They have a lot of options.  Maybe not the exact thing you're looking for though.

julsie
September 5, 2011 - 6:57 pm

Okay, some of the comments on that post were just silly.  Had to roll my eyes at people who were pro-bottle but anti-sippy cups.  My first kiddo absolutely refused everything except the breast until I got her to drink from a straw.  Sometimes mom doesn't get to decide!  She had several hungry days at daycare until I sent her off with breast milk in a toddler cup with built-in straw.

Thanks for the ideas.  The ones at stainlesscups.com look like a good option for us.

julsie
October 6, 2011 - 8:16 am

I just realized I forgot to come back and share what I found!  We ended up buying a Thermos Foogo.  The top and straw are still plastic, but the body of the cup is stainless steel.  And thermal, which is a big plus. I ordered it from Amazon, but my husband said he saw them at Target.

We also have a kid's size Camelbak bottle in stainless steel, but the kiddo doesn't like it as much.  Again, the top and straw are still plastic, but the cup itself is stainless.

All RSSShow Stats